"wrong" Twisted Handmades

Stefan

Thar she be

f778d917-0354-432c-bb4e-b95a9235ed79_zps

45c3225c-4d4f-43dd-9918-6fe28bf18ede_zps

Is that not a view from the pontil? well, just checked, marbles have from pontil and top the same direction twist. But some of them I have first twist left, and than back to right. If I remember correctly Hansel has an onionskin that first has a left twist and than right, or first right and than left.

Jeroen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galen...where did I tell you or anyone else, how, when or where to post? I simply stated my opinion that I would have to go with oldmarblenut in this case. I even said that at first glance, your opinion had some validity, but it did not stand up to the explanation about how marbles are made in a factory situation where efficiency and productivity are a factor and the line is set up to operate in a certain way. In no way did I mean to indicate that you should not be posting or tell you how to do said post but you have my apology for whatever it was that I said that made you think that. I am not picking on you, just disagreeing with you and trying to tell you why in the limited grasp of the English language that I have.

You directed 90% of your post at me. It says Galen,: If you want to direct posts at me it would be much proper to do it in a PM. . Now lets see some more left handed twists and get back on subject.

Handgathered??http://news.discovery.com/tech/alternative-power-sources/rawlemon-globe-harvests-energy-sun-moon-120918.htm

Back to the subject of reverse twist. I just went through all my big marbles. From 50+ big swirls I found no reverse twists. From over a 100 big onions I found five that twisted backwards. Four of those were multi-layer (submarine?) of which I have eight so half of those were reverse twist. The other reverse twist was a four lobe with just a slight twist. I have no idea what this means in the big picture but a nice sampling to look at. Bill

Oh, gosh,.....this thread is full of people directing their responses to specific people. I was directing most of my response to you, because I was disagreeing with you....duh.?... I was backing up oldmarblenut but I was not telling you who, what, or where to post. You seem to get a little sensitive when someone disagrees with you....why not just take it on the chin and let it go? After all, I did apologize, which you did not even acknowledge. It is just a disagreement that I tried to give an explanation as to why I disagreed. It did not mean that your own ideas were bad. It is just that they did not work when stood up against what happens in an actual production experience and oldmarblenut helped me to understand that. It is nothing to be taking personally which is what you seem to be doing. Lets just agree to disagree and leave it alone from now on.

As for the rest of this thread....I have learned a lot in it about marble production and for that reason, the thread has been a very good experience. Thanks, oldmarblenut, for your clear and concise explanations....you have opened up the world of glassmaking to me and make me want to learn more. It takes me back to my old days when I took up my first ceramics piece. It did not take me long to know that I wanted to learn everything that there was to learn about the industry which is why I became a studio owner and a teacher with over 10,000 molds. I even started a ceramics industry newspaper!!! Had I not injured my right hand, which is the hand that I held my paint brushes and tools with, I never would have found out that I could hold that hand up at an auction much quicker than I could paint....lol !!! and I never would have bought that first 5 gallon jar of marbles and the rest is history. It is funny how life twists and turns....

I have never heard of hot glass German cane cut marbles being rounded in a foot pedaled bowl, this sounds like a process that would also contradict production principles, can you elaborate?

Seems to me I remember seeing a drawing made from a photograph (actually I think it was an old / early film) of a German glassmaker sitting in a particular kind of chair, with the rounding bucket or bowl, and using the cupped shears . . . in the last edition of Baumann's Collecting Antique Marbles.

Thanks for the pic Hansel, Good job Ann. And Thank you for the back up. And if folks want to put in some real effort they will be able to locate some of the original Pics online.. It will involve translations and some foreign sites.

I see in Hansel's pix, the glass from the top has been twisted to the right at the pontil on the top. If the pontil was attached on the bottom it would be a left twist. Can't any twist be called a left twist or a right twist depending on which end you view the marble? It seems to me it doesn't matter if the maker was left handed or right handed, the resulting marble would look the same if you turned it over?

The rougher end is typically the cut off side, the "top" pontil is re-heated and twisted off leaving it a bit smoother and a tighter twist, I see the slight reverse to the twist but it is still predominantly left twisted, most often ( 99.9 % ), a right or left is the same on opposite end, I have seen a few over the years that do have a complete reverse twist but I do not own any at this time.

In Hansel's photo, the top marble shows the shape of the diamond shear in the center, when squeezing the glass down it sometimes transfers the shape of the cutting tool, most often if the rotation of the marble stops while cutting, also not all German marble shears used a diamond shaped shear, the set I have has flat blade and leaves a smoother cut as the blade comes to rest at the edge of the cup.

Are these smaller marbles Hansel?? under 3/4"??

Want to let you all know,that i learn a lot lately about handmades.

I now look with different eyes at my handmades and discover all sort of things i did not notice before.

Until now i thought they were beautiful but boring,LOL they aren't boring at all.

Do you think that there has been more attention being brought to handmades lately? I think that the explanations being given by oldmarblenut in this thread are so interesting. The way he describes things, I can close my eyes and imagine myself seeing what he is saying. I love the old hand mades.

Like some others, I think, I started collecting with the old German swirls, and only later developed a fatal interest in other kinds of marbles. The ground-pontil slags followed by MFC (nice nines) followed by OMG Peltier slags followed by . . .

When I started buying comtemporaries I knew it was over.

Glad there's a little talk about the handmades now -- I still have a soft spot for them.

Actually i don't know if there has been more attention for handmades lately,i think i'm more open for them at this moment.

I'm more of a machien made collector,although i've a lot of handmades,till now i was not interested in them,other than i thought they look beautiful.