Input Needed On Rare Caged/ornament Sulpides

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

Caged/Ornament Sulphide

I acquired these a while back and need you creative thouights as to what the purpose was to make this cage-like frame around these sulphides. Were they used for Christmas tree decoration???...probably not because they are quite heavy....perhaps a rope like material was strung through the attached rings and hung in a window?. As you can see they display nicely in a pocket watch dome. I have been a gold smith for 30 years and I know good metal work and this is great metal work. There is no question as to them being original because of the patina the metal presents and the sulphides are wet mint without a scratch!!!!! Chime in on what your thoughts are!!!

Minnesota Marble-Bernie

Priceless artifacts,,,,,,,,, picture? Been doing this marble thing for a while and never even heard of them, a picture? no,,, maybe an old catalog would have them,,, so many things going on here, sulphide,surrounded by cage, and the huge bonus is their in colored glass, ya,, dream find, enjoy them,,, bj

If they were curtain tie backs you would assume clear would be the color choice. I think they are store display items. Hang them in the store front window and catch peoples attention... I still would take them apart... thats just me.. I like taking things apart.

Well before giving an option would need bigger pics but I remember some one having new colored ones made . so how about a lot of bigger pics I enlarged these but . not clear . also very good if you have some thing that has never been seen ever .post-94-0-63798300-1403738781_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-41878900-1403738795_thumb.jpg

some one did all this with a cat eye .

Mike

Mike,

I have made silver bezels on several halves that are very similar to the pictures you sent. There is quite a bit difference in the age of what you posted and what I have. I don`t have an explanation as to the reason to go through all that work on a cat eye but I do this on handmade halves. I believe I have a finished one I can take a picture of.BRB.

Very nice Bernie. As to value? Since the metal is brass it may not add any extra value. Except as a novelty. The value is in the sulphides.

A friend of mine found this agate. Caged around the equator so the bulls eye is seen on both sides . Definitely old. Size is 3/4". I am leaning toward as a pendant or part of a watch fob. The metal is gold. Tested at 10k I think.

post-175-0-37198800-1403747203_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-66746200-1403747216_thumb.jpg

I would put 5 cents that the agate you just pictured is a watch fob. I have seen them occasionally. You are correct in that the brass metal adds no value and the sulphides are where the $ is.The brass value is zero but the execution and the type of marble adds multiple to the rarity. I put a value as just sulphides without the cage at $2,000.00 to $3000.00 each. To find a wet mint colored base sulphide with a super nice with the criteria listed below is quite a challenge!!!! I will justify my number now using "my" interpretation of value in any sulphide in my collection;

1-rarity of figure

2-the figures first are very well centered

3-both figures have much better than aveage detail-very nice crisp detail!!!

4-the figures have absolutely no bubble(s) present on the figure to obscure viewing

5-no cracks or missing parts of the figures

6-wet mint glass without even as much as light scratching

7-attractive base (matrix) color-good eye appeal

8-size is nice but average and adds no additional money to base value of previous standards(the only time this matters is if they are extremely large or extremely small)

Greg11-the value with the cage is a VERY HARD ANSWER!!!!---not because they are mine but an honest opinion is-name your price!

Marbleus1-tell me what pictures you would want and I will take and post....closer?...thanks!