Champion Marbles Box....

mibcapper

Hi Dave. How are you?

I would expect them to all have Pelts. Champion was a Pelt packaging name when Berry Pink was jobbering for them.

Later, if I recall correctly, he started jobbering Pelts in a very similar box but it said "Marble King" instead of "Champion". And it's possible that some of those boxes which say Marble King on them may have been sold with Alleys.

You find these box sets with marbles inside which were produced by Peltier,Alley and Marble King. Cambridge auction last Saturday. Five out of state house guest here since last Sunday and Sistersville show going since last Thursday. Long days short nights. Busy clam.

You find these box sets with marbles inside which were produced by Peltier,Alley and Marble King. Cambridge auction last Saturday. Five out of state house guest here since last Sunday and Sistersville show going since last Thursday. Long days short nights. Busy clam.

har .... u shouda left my .. tag .. on that door .. :fighting-163: .... :rolleye-842: .... :character-smileys-238: ................ livinandluvin .... in wild and wonderful wv

My thought is that the ones with Marble King are backfilled by people who associated Berry Pink with the Marble King company, not understanding that Pink's use of the Marble King brand came long before Marble King company marbles started to be made.

Any disagreement?

I'm not inclined to believe that happened. However, I'm interested in whether others think it's likely, so thanks.

Here is the kind of packaging which I think all three of those makers might be able to be found in:

Marble King ad from 1953 with Alleys

Peltier and MK did share marbles during the poly bag years, so I would be intrigued but not completely surprised to see MKs in a poly bag with Champion or Champion Jr. on it. I would be surprised to find MKs in leftover Champion or Champion Jr. mesh bags.

Steph are you saying that all these type box sets were filled,complete,finished before Marble King started in business ? That they were all filled originally before Marble King Co. and all predate Marble King company ? What is the exact date of these box sets ? Maybe a date can be put with these box sets by advertisments ? That would be a current date for the ad and box set. I am not sure that it would indicate a end date for use of these boxes ? If the ones filled with Marble King marbles were all backfilled,and not original someone was busy. Just me but,I have seen almost a equal number of all three companies marbles in these box sets. If the Marble King Co. filled other companies bags with their marbles,why could they or Berry Pink not have filled these box sets with Marble King Co. marbles ? Marble KIng Co. had direct ties with Berry Pink and Peltier. There is cross packaging between all three of these so why not these box sets ?

When I started typing this post, I didn't remember any dates. But while looking for a box which someone got empty and wanted to fill properly, I found some dates.

So anyway, yes, it was my thought that they all predate the mid-1950's or whenever it was that Marble King started making Rainbows. (Howdyshell in his interview in AMMM said they started veneering in 1956 or 1957.)

If I got one with Marble Kings in it, I wouldn't remove them. However, I would suspect they were backfilled. If a lot are found that way, my guess would be that this was because so few people have known what was supposed to go in them. I could see people changing the Pelts out because they just didn't know that Berry Pink was jobbering for Peltier when these boxes were made.

The 1953 ad I linked to above doesn't list them. AMMM shows a 1954 ad which looks like the 1953 ad. I think maybe I've seen a 1955 ad which looks roughly the same. Not sure where I would have that one. Probably a paper copy which I have stored in a box. Gotta index that box. :) It's the one filled with goodies from George.

Okay, next post will have some dated material showing the Champion version at least. Think I might also have something which says Marble King on it. Not sure. Gonna take a minute to look. Be right back.