How Caged Is Caged?

orbboy

I got hung up on this type once, so I have a few.

Never once did it occur to me to count the threads of the outer cage!

But I will, this very evening.

I will say, off the top of my head, comparing just my recollections of my "caged candy-stripe" marbles, yours looks really really really caged to me!

I think the most I have seen is 18 on a marble I owned, I sold it at Tucson last year so I can't count them now. I have one for this years Tucson and will count it, I don't think it has as many. This is by far the most I personally have seen .......... Very cool !!

All my best .......... Danny

Just counted the one upstairs ............. it has 16

What is the consensus on how many lines it takes to be considered "caged"? I had always heard 12 lines. Thoughts?

I don't think I've heard a minimum number associated with "caged" before, but then I may not have been paying much attention. 12 sounds reasonable. Although I suppose there might be occasions when fewer would still give a caged look to whatever was inside . . .

I think I read somewhere that 12 was considered "caged"??

Thanks Steph. It is a crazy little marble. Here are some more from the group. 16 - 18 bands on the first 4 yellow then white ones. Then 18 on the alternatering yellow white single one. The worker was a busy beaver that day I guess.

post-218-0-55931300-1418416258_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-79335500-1418416273_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-22393900-1418416287_thumb.jpg

I guess I've come to agree about "cages" having a minimum number of lines. When I got my oldies out, I picked out 12 immediately that I considered "caged." 10 "candy stripe" solid cores and two double-ribbon cores. They all had 16-18 fine outer lines.

As I was putting them back, I began thinking about the other marbles with outer ribbons that I hadn't thought of as caged. There were lots of them -- latticinio cores, divided cores, etc. None had more than 12 outer ribbons.

Plus, color came into play with them. Al of my caged marbles had one-color cages. The ones with 12 or less outer ribbons sometimes alternated colors, or were thicker than caging threads . . . .

So, Orbboy, that's a heck of a caged candy stripe you've got there. I haven't seen one with more!