Same Marble / Different Sizes (Question)

The idea of 'same run' marbles was brought up elsewhere.

It got me wondering about a couple things, and since the original poster wasn't

intending to get into a technical discussion, I'm hoping it's proper 'forum decorum'

to start another topic. For now, I'll just ask one of my two questions.

Because of the great education several people gave me a while back about how

marble 'sizing' is determined, and also because of the terrific photos that have

been posted of both old advertising and 'salesman cases', it's clear that many of

the 'classic' manufacturers often made a certain 'type' of marble in many sizes.

So how was this actually done at the factory?

Are we talking about separate machines for each size cranking out marbles at the same time?

Or could there be a reason to have all your machines making the same size all at once, and

then switching them all over to another size when you think you've made enough? Thanks!

With the majority of vintage machines. You cannot make quality pee wees on a one inch machine. You can make steady quality marbles on the same size machine going up or down a size but not large differences in the size of the rollers,shears etc.

Jabo had machine sizes for 3/8 pee wee,9/16,5/8,3/4,one inch and probably others. The same for Marble KIng or more variety of sizes and numbers of machines. Some of the Akro machines ended up at Marble KIng,according to Beri Fox. They are still at MK most in the parts grave yard. Vitro had machine sizes for 5/16 and probably every size up to 1 1/4 inch which belonged to House of Marbles. Most of the old Vitro machines ended up at Jabo. One old Vitro machine size 11/16 is at Sammy Hogue's now. Peltier had pee wee size and probaby up to one inch size machines.

Different size machines at Jabo.

post-91-0-27336500-1428364843_thumb.jpg

Peltier pee wee machine.

post-91-0-51911000-1428364931_thumb.jpg

I could add lots more pics but only allowed two.

Thanks!

There's more going on here than I would have guessed.

And thanks wvrons for getting into historical and other details.

I don't know much at all about the real marble production process,

but it sounds like in a perfect world any given size marble would

be made on a machine designed for that particular size.

When it comes to 'peewees', it's always seemed to me that a

lot of them aren't very impressive. But the ones that are, are

really something! Maybe this has to do with being made on

the right machine.

Had no idea if there were machines for different sizes or if you

just had to add a different 'attachment' or something like that.

Thanks for continuing my education. ( :

I don't know of other machine designs but the one i have seen in videos (dirty jobs-jabo and on how its made) have a pot up top where the glass is melted, there is a hole in the bottom with a slider over it, the slider has a hole in it. as it moves back and forth glass goes through as the hole opens and closes the glass comes out and gets sheared off. they can vary the amount of glass with speed and size of hole. There are spiral rollers below that spin and the marbles land on them. by the time they get to the end they are cool and they fall into a basket.

To vary size they change the slider hole size and speed and change the rollers to ones with smaller or larger grooves. I am sure you could make marbles with the same rollers that are smaller but not ones that are larger than the width of the grooves.

As Ron says you pretty much need a set of rollers for all different marble sizes, It would be tough to get nice round 5/8" marbles on a 3/4" set of rollers. I believe some companies had the ability to move different size rollers under the gob feeder in a fairly timely manner as I have some CAC swirls that are obviously same run but some are 5/8- and others are 3/4+

I have no idea what a spinner machine is ??? Akro had a spinner cup attachment to a machine or machines that made corks. I do not know of any marble machines in Washington.

If you try to make a pee wee on a 3/4 machine. The gap at the bottom of the rolls will allow even the small glob of glass to fall through the gap onto the floor or catch pan below the rolls. You cannot go up or down more than one size than the actual roll opening size and keep steady quality marbles. The glass glob needs to fit the roll gap,to much and roll marks as the marble rides above the roll flights edges. To little and roll marks,out of round egg shaped etc.. The glob wobbels in the groove of the roll. All kinds of problems if the glass glob does not fit the roll groove bouncing sticking together etc.. Plus the glass glob or marble should not set in the very bottom of the goove. It should ride smoothly on the sides of the grooves near the bottom of the rolls. Not as simple as it looks. Think it is then just run a machine for 8 hours even 4 hours. But get ready to sweat.

The machines had a + or - tolerance for producing marbles.

A machine that was designed for 3/4 dia.,would have variation in the size,due to fluxuations in

the temp. of the glass.

Im talking about a 1/16 in either direction,just as an educated guess.

I have seen exceptions at Jabo,when 2 marble "blanks" came together,

on the rolls,making double ingots.Most of the time,they did not turn out well,

without a little manual manipulation.