Found Anything Curious Lately?

ann

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually it was the glass quality that made these weird. It is a much nicer glass than the Japanese types that look like them. Despite the Orange Peeled and creased surfaces it is a nice clear clean glass.

This group was found at a carboot and purchased from a brother/sister team that was clearing out mums house for her. After a 10 min argument on what shop they got them at as kids (that was never resolved) they both agreed that they were purchased with their grandfather when he came to visit in 1974. This part was easy for them to recall since granddad died the next year and the memories of his last visit were still clear in their minds. While I am a sceptic of most stories this one was as believable as any I have ever heard.

Anyhoo here are the marbles I got from them. All measure 1 1/8" ish. I think they are all related. Any other ideas?

post-218-0-82576900-1434630483_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-86900100-1434630497_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-46290300-1434630509_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-59927500-1434630519_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I keep stumbling across these weird marble beads. Haven't seen one quite like this crazy Czech one before. Looking forward to its arrival in my mailbox - - -

Sorry for the sucky small pics. I'll see if I can do better.

post-2163-0-14400900-1435358867.jpg

post-2163-0-60440700-1435358905.jpg

And it's bigger than I expected -- came on Saturday. Apparently the mm measurement in the auction meant nothing to me. It only sank in when I measured it at a hair less than 3/4. Tempted to put it with my Czech marbles!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, some more whackos have come my way. I only have one in hand, but I have eight more coming. They're all very similar, and the one I already have is -- kind of unbelievably -- old glass, Which is why I bought the remaining ones. I seem convinced that if I have some and stare at them long enough I will become enlightened. Just to clarify, the glass is actually white. The orangey-red color is not far off.

post-2163-0-83374100-1437000184_thumb.jp

post-2163-0-29883000-1437000210_thumb.jp

Winnie's look modern.

Vacor Old Fashion.

Her left marble has a cutline which adds to the Vacor impression.

The lighting is odd on yours, Ann, and that pigtail is different. More views might help.

The 2nd view you have showing makes me think Vacor. Or Imperial. Maybe I should have mentioned Imperial for Winnie's also.

Do you see the little Master-esque cutline?

I need to look up some Old Fashions to see how many different ribbons they have coming into the cutline.

That would make sense. I don't know how many of the ones that are coming might have the pigtail thing -- or not. And I don't know the Vacor Old Fashions. Or any Vacors very well . . .