Found Anything Curious Lately?

ann

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neat porcelain cane head, Not really a scenic china. That is a marble term.

so if it didn't have the hole? I was looking at some pics in marble mania that were labeled scenic china, which is where I got the term.

I had a Nailsea glass flask at one time, similar to the one below. But to my knowledge marbles were never made like this -- the size would argue against it too. Even the big old Germans were really shelf-pieces. I'd guess that if it's old, which I'm not sure of, it would be a fancy piece by a Nailsea artist, or something like that --

I don't see any oxblood?

post-2163-0-03425900-1437687753_thumb.jp

post-2163-0-99529200-1437687772_thumb.jp

It's definitely old, I've seen similar patterns on 19th century glass. Nailsea I think it's called.

Welcome! Cool pattern on that marble. It might be old(er), but might not be from the same era when the cane cut marbles were made in Germany (which is probably what most people on this site would consider in the 'old' category)

The reason I think it's old is the design. It's on the outside of the globe, almost an imprinting as you can feel the actual pattern. The core is oxblood which is only visible by illumination. I've had this marble?for a long time, at least 35yrs. I assumed it predated the German handmades. I thought it could be a part of some sort of lamp or candlestick. Another thing is the weight , it's extremely heavy for a marble that size. It's also not perfectly round. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks

I think I see what you mean by illumination in your first pic. 2"+ marble is going to have some weight for sure. I wouldn't have considered part of a lamp or candlestick but who knows? The pattern is nice. 35+ years gives it a bit of history. The precision of the pattern would have been very difficult to achieve in a marble pre-dating the time when most of the handmade German marbles were made 100+ years ago

I agree with "The precision of the pattern would have been very difficult to achieve in a marble pre-dating the time when most of the handmade German marbles were made 100+ years ago." I don't believe it would have been made in Germany during the time frame of the old Germans, or before. I don't know where else was making glass marbles then. Generally they were being made of agate.

Regardless of the decoration -- which I just cannot see as old (1800s) -- I wouldn't call it a marble. Sphere, orb, something of that nature, maybe. But then I don't call anything over 1 1/4" a marble anyway. Too big to play with.

And just a note: To some of us ancients, 35 years isn't that long ago! Modern glass artists started making marbles (and orbs and spheres) at least 20 years before that! I even have a few of them.

But it certainly is an interesting glass thing, whatever it is, and attractive! The oxblood in the middle is a real puzzler . . .

Would you see if you could take a picture with a bright light down through the open "pole" so we can get a better look at the oxblood core? That would be interesting, and I would guess it might be able to tell us something about the piece --

Cigar-cigarette lighters and they are not Akro. They are missing the cord and lighter. Here is one that never got used. Mica bottom and a gravity switch that turns it on when you turn it upside down, Feels like a ball bearing rolling in it for the switch

post-87-0-61438900-1438045214_thumb.jpg