$600 For A Contemp Sulphide?

The seller is Mario Baz, son of Gerhard Baz. They both sell on eBay using a variety of names.

Both have a fairly good reputation for selling antique marbles and related items.

In this case, the bidders' identities are hidden, which should be a warning to bidders.

The seller makes no false claims as to age or value in his description of this marble.

It's more a sin of omission than commission.

For those not educated by nuns, look here:

http://www.pathconscious.com/sins-of-omission-vs-commission/

It is listed as pre-1970.

I went to Catholic school in first grade.

Yeah, I don't know how to reconcile inaccurate listing categories.

For example, lots of machine mades listed in handmades and vice versa.

Doesn't make it right, but I don't know if that makes it a sin.

Do you still have connections to nuns you could ask?

Hansel, there are great lessons in the 'omission' link you posted.

I think everyone should read it regardless of their particular persuasion.

Steph, you're a nice person. Not that many people

have it in them to have an immediate reaction like that. :)

What does everyone think the pattern of the bidding suggests?

There's a slow steady increase up to the three hundred dollar level.

This is achieved one hour before the auction is over.

Then everything stops for the remaining hour until the very last minute.

At which point you see that giant three hundred dollar jump right at the end.

What does everyone think the pattern of the bidding suggests?

There's a slow steady increase up to the three hundred dollar level.

This is achieved one hour before the auction is over.

Then everything stops for the remaining hour until the very last minute.

At which point you see that giant three hundred dollar jump right at the end.

I had an auction go like that once, it was for a rare folding knife I sold. It wasn't private bidding however and it certainly isn't how my auctions normally go

I thought it looked a little unusual, but didn't really know.

Good to hear from someone who's involved in the 'selling' side of things.

I can think of several possibilities, but I suppose it's just a 'guessing game'. ( :

Very rarely -- and not in a few years, having grown up some -- I placed bids like the giant jump one at the end. Came out of frustration and anger at being constantly outbid outbid outbid on something I really wanted. Waited until the last minute and then put in a bid that was perilously close to Way Too Much For Me, figuring either I'd win, dammit, or, if the other guy sniped me, it might at least make him hurt. You want it, huh? Huh? This bad? Huh?

But I got over it.

It was just a phase I was going through.

Auction value isn't always representative of fair market value. All it takes is two bidders, at least one with deep pockets (the buyer) and things can go through the roof.

Another variable is subjective value - $600 can be a drop in the bucket for some people who like it whether it's 'real' or not

IMO listing (mis-listing) something in a way that will garner bids from the less sharp when one knows exactly what said item is, is just as bad as stealing the purse off the old ladies arm. (not catholic)

And having been at this for so long it really sucks knowing so many do not feel the way I do??

IMO listing (mis-listing) something in a way that will garner bids from the less sharp when one knows exactly what said item is, is just as bad as stealing the purse off the old ladies arm. (not catholic)

And having been at this for so long it really sucks knowing so many do not feel the way I do??

I am with you. There have been several occasions where I have pointed out fakes and reproductions to "antique stores " I have been to in the past. As a general rule, if the item is still out next time I visit and not labeled correctly, that store has lost my business.

At the risk of making you feel more sucky, purposeful mis-listing in the wrong age category and then stating in the description that age is unknown, is not much worse than posting an I.D.question in the General Marble and Glass Chat forum. It gets more exposure.

The sin is in stating age is unknown when you know full well it's a contemporary marble.

Apples and Oranges IMO on the first part.(unless they are promoting the sale of something they already know what it is. Or ignore the general consensus of any answers. But your last sentence is pretty much part of what I was saying. Whatever you want to call it, It is wrong IMO

Totally off topic <> I have learned over the last dozen or so years that in business dealings(purchasing a service or even a product, that it is perfectly Okay to lie to try and get a deal in some cultures and it is not at all wrong in their way of thinking._________ I like lying being wrong much better