Ever See A Teal And Brown Akro Agate Popeye?

For me, not enough clear and/or wispy white for the Popeye call. What colors do you see when it's backlit?

Akro had a bunch of crazy colors and combos. Don't remember seeing exactly this one, though. I have one with a similar thready blue, but its cork is a sort of faded orange.

Thank you, Ann. I see what you mean. Backlit it has a yellow hue. Although there is a lot of white, all the white is wispy (bad pictures).

Maybe multiple "hair-thin" white threads separated by clear. Any more thoughts? Thanks, Burt

This is one of those which puzzles me. I don't see it as being part of a Tri-Onyx Agate run (i.e., not an intentional Popeye).

But what _would_ Akro have called it?

I don't have a clue.

Although there is a lot of white, all the white is wispy (bad pictures).

My mistake -- I'm reading the wispy white as light blue, on my screen.

But not a Popeye, still.

No clue about what Akro would have called it either -- just one more Akro Whacko? Can we use that as a category?

I THOUGHT an onyx was colored transparent glass with a white cork. Also if there is yellow in that base color, that brown color could be incompatibility with a glass that has copper in it like greens and some blues. It causes discoloration, not a blend and not a separate color.

Edna may be on the right track here. I wish you could see this marble "in hand". There is no question about Teal and Brown, the Brown does not appear to be a blend, but the Brown could be a discoloration.

This is what I refer to as an onyx. This is from "Marbles Identification and Price Guide" 5th ed. It may not be the correct term, but since I am still pretty new, I only use the terms I have seen.

post-3728-0-14310100-1435059511_thumb.jp

The middle of the Teal cork is opaque and from the middle out it becomes Translucent. The Brown is Translucent/Transparent.

The White threads seem Translucent and the Base is Clear/Transparent with that yellow moonie hue.

Terry's pictures look like we've found a cousin. Great discussion. Thank You.

This is what I refer to as an onyx. This is from "Marbles Identification and Price Guide" 5th ed. It may not be the correct term, but since I am still pretty new, I only use the terms I have seen.

attachicon.gif20150623_042642.jpg

By "onyx," most people (and the early companies like MF Christensen, Peltier, & Akro) mean opaque white swirled into a transparent, usually colored base. Or corked into it, in the case of Akro. No other additional color. Onyxs (onyxes?) were intended (in a general sort of way) to resemble, or at least call to mind, the stone called onyx. Same rational as using the term "agate," like a lot of marble companies did. Steph's post #12 shows Akro's onyxs pretty well.

The onyx can be pretty much equated with the "slag." Same definition. In some slags, you can get the appearance of wispy white, but it's still really just opaque white . . .

post-2163-0-01540700-1435075626_thumb.jp

post-2163-0-75065200-1435075710_thumb.jp

Also, if it is a true 3 colors, I believe akro would have refered to it as a tri-color onyx (popeyes would be the collectors term)

For collectors, a Popeye must have a readily-apparent transparent (and generally colorless) base, plus wispy white, plus a minimum of two colors -- the "tri" in tri-onyx includes the wispy white.

Sorry. Woke up in teacher mode this morning. Must be having a flashback.

:wacko:

So then what would you call the marble in the picture from the book?

I think it's an issue with the photograph more than anything. Basically, if the marble is only one transparent color with white swirled in, whether the white is wispy or not is not significant. It's just white.

Wispy white comes into play with Popeyes, but not much else that I can think of. Maybe someone else can add to that?

So then what would you call the marble in the picture from the book?

I'm not able to make out enough details of the marble to know. From this one angle, it kinda looks like it could be in the more corky moss agate family. But with other pics who knows what it might look like.

post-3728-0-14310100-1435059511.jpg