Joseph's Coats

If they were mine, I'd have them with my onionskins, too.  Can't tell if there's a white or yellow base underneath the stripes, or just transparent colorless, but either way, it would have to have way more colors to be a Joseph's Coat.  In my world, anyway.  Others may see things differently, though.

They're pretty -- I  like them!

Thanks both - they're just transparent colourless - I thought Onion Skins had to be over a coloured or white base?

The base is transparent - no coloured core, or colour beneath the strands. Predominantly two shades of blue, but also pink, white, light green and on one a single purple strand and on the other a single yellow strand.

I'm confused. :unsure:

2 hours ago, ManofKent said:

I'm confused. :unsure:

Then you're a full-fledged member of the Club!

I might have too many sub-categories for some people, but here's how I usually think of it -- and now that I think of it, I'm not sure I'd call it an onionskin, either . . .

Threads or blotches or streaks of color on white or yellow (although the the core is generally transparent colorless) = onionskin.

Threads or blotches or streaks of color on transparent colorless glass = banded transparent.

Narrow, equally-sized threads or ribbons (of a variety of colors) running from pole to pole on a transparent colorless (or sometimes tinted) base = Joseph's Coat.

Don't know if that helps any.  I'll see if I can find some good examples.

5 minutes ago, ann said:

Then you're a full-fledged member of the Club!

I might have too many sub-categories for some people, but here's how I usually think of it -- and now that I think of it, I'm not sure I'd call it an onionskin, either . . .

Threads or blotches or streaks of color on white or yellow (although the the core is generally transparent colorless) = onionskin.

Threads or blotches or streaks of color on transparent colorless glass = banded transparent.

Narrow, equally-sized threads or ribbons (of a variety of colors) running from pole to pole on a transparent colorless (or sometimes tinted) base = Joseph's Coat.

Don't know if that helps any.  I'll see if I can find some good examples.

I think from those definitions (the base is transparent and the threads are basically the same size, generally separated by a thin sliver of clear glass but merging in a couple of spots - they're not on a white or coloured back) I'll still go with Joseph's Coat.

It does seem a slightly contentious issue :)

I see some people define by the number of colours, but although it is predominantly two shades of blue there are multiple colours there, just in only a few threads.

They're pretty things what ever they are :)

1 hour ago, lstmmrbls said:

With out a colored back glass behind the stripes they are striped transparents to me

Striped transparents, yes -- not banded transparents.  Mindslip.

3 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

With out a colored back glass behind the stripes they are striped transparents to me

I'm happy with striped transparent as a descriptor although I'm not quite sure of the dividing line between striped transparent and Joseph's coat :)

1 hour ago, ann said:

Now HERE are some Joseph Coats!

joseph coats 2.jpg

Beautiful. I'm guessing those are nearer 20mm in size from the pontil mark?

1 minute ago, 1DanS said:

Once upon a time, we called the type of marble you have shown a "naked" onionskin, I still refer to them as such.

thanks

I've not come across that one, but it's not a bad description :)

i would personal refer to them as transparent as well. If you look at a Joseph coats the lines / bands generally tend to be very well defined with an even width the entire length except at the top and bottom for obvious reasons. They normally do not ave that blotchy  smeared look to the colors like transparent and onion skins do. they will also not have empty space with in the colors. They will sometimes have empty space between the colors though like mentioned above most would refer to those as English swirls. Fr it to be an onion skin the colors have to be on another color usually white it will not have a clear base glass. Unless you have a "Ribbon core onion skin" but that is a whole nother game. Just imagine someone flattening out a onionskin marble them putting it into a marble.

1 hour ago, tallnbald76 said:

i would personal refer to them as transparent as well. If you look at a Joseph coats the lines / bands generally tend to be very well defined with an even width the entire length except at the top and bottom for obvious reasons. They normally do not ave that blotchy  smeared look to the colors like transparent and onion skins do. they will also not have empty space with in the colors. They will sometimes have empty space between the colors though like mentioned above most would refer to those as English swirls. Fr it to be an onion skin the colors have to be on another color usually white it will not have a clear base glass. Unless you have a "Ribbon core onion skin" but that is a whole nother game. Just imagine someone flattening out a onionskin marble them putting it into a marble.

Useful thanks. I do wonder though whether the size of a marble has an impact on how well defined the lines / bands can be. Most of the Joseph Coats appear to be 20mm plus (unless the pontils are truly tiny).

It's been an interesting discussion - thanks to all.

5 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

Yes the origin's easy, but how many is 'many' and what do you term multi-coloured threaded - non-onionskin marbles if they've only got four or five colours? :) Distribution of colours seems to be a factor for some people.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:16 AM, ManofKent said:

. . . what do you term multi-coloured threaded - non-onionskin marbles if they've only got four or five colours?.

Striped transparent.