Con......Fused

Its a Latt with outer bands.

There would be no reason to fuse an onionskin cane with a latt cane.  Their construction approaches are different:  The latt is made in layered stages with a clear core, a latt cane core (pick-up) with outer band (pick-up).  The onion is made with frit rolling on a marver.

The outer bands on this wonky piece are flat because they were intentionally flattened after the pickup to form ribbons.

Like you say, no Marble can get Smooched or Shimmied at the end of a shift, no end of canes or cast offs can be picked up on a work bench, mmmm, no strange marbles will be made, and never Onionskins with swirls.

Never dip a 2” EOD in Mifoi or Frit mmm.....strange

Maybe if you put an arrow on the photo showing the Onionskin construction, it will help point it out.

I assume when you wrote "Mifoi" - you mean 'Millefiori'.  I've never heard of a vintage cane handmade marble in which millefiori was included.

Yes sorry  please accept my aggressive or weird posting, I don’t intend to cause any offence or ill meaning, I love this board, I’m just trying to push my neck out, if everyone  sits on the fence, what chance have we got? At some point this forum will 

go under........Anarchy is the best policy! 😄😳

I like these wacky ones. and am glad they didn't get discarded.  It is a little surprising they'd still spend the time to grind/facet the pontil...although at that point 90% of the labor and materials would already be into it.

I agree - I find these oddballs fascinating, as do many other collectors. This one is especially interesting. 

Lee Linne has a very nice collection of the two types pushed together. It was fone when one cane was heated up and stuck to the end of another.  Not extremely uncommon. 

I’m sorry I missed those, Galen, when I saw Lee’s collection - he’s got an amazing one. I bet those old German craftsmen didn’t waste much glass. I doubt those ‘fuseballs’ made it out into the field but probably stayed in the family. Most I’ve seen don’t have much if any play wear. 

• 2 weeks later...