I have been granted the use of marble ads from said magazine year dates 1893 - 1928 with one from Akron ad from 1931 permission and my great appreciation is given to :

image.png.1b7c2ad65e6e9ba2aec7b01307853fd5.png

Check out this old sales ad from a 1931 catalog. The akro logos in the upper L & R corners have "no crow" in them, A very interesting old ad. what gives ?? the magazine company or what ?? Any info would be great

image.png.1e406b21626deac7bdf0ed461ebca022.png

image.thumb.png.926121a321662dd84deb4b703d074879.png

Here's the top blown up for a closer look

sweet ... don't know if I have that one ...  

but I do now! :)  

I don't remember seeing the "fire opals" advertised very much.  I need to refresh my memory of what ads I have access to.  Thanks for sharing. 

I ran across an information gold mine, a lot to share " but " I want yours to for my folder. When I find stuff like this I'll copy all of it into a folder because as you well know sites like this disappear quickly and the information is gone forever.  A blowup from the first ad page showing a date of 1931 no month was given for this picture.

image.thumb.png.0dab29b7279edd6a8bdb388d6fd31c22.png

On 12/31/2020 at 11:09 AM, Al Oregon said:

Nice ad.  I have not seen that logo in any of my saved pics of ads, boxes, etc.

It's a first for me to Al, over 30 yrs. and never an Akro ad like that ??  I have no idea !! I think it would be a good wood burning project ? A wall hanger for the old homestead.

I stumbled onto this while researching something else marble related, a link inside a link inside yet another link, sheer luck !! I was just curious. The main website has been dead for years ☠️ I used to use it daily instead of Ebay or CW, After all that's what this forum was built on, the sharing of information in order to build a factual data base for this hobby, and have a lot of fun on the way, and a little bit of a sore back and neck   :computer-22:   

Chad G. :party-243:

On 12/31/2020 at 12:45 PM, Steph said:

sweet ... don't know if I have that one ...  

but I do now! :)  

I don't remember seeing the "fire opals" advertised very much.  I need to refresh my memory of what ads I have access to.  Thanks for sharing. 

I blew this fire opal ad up for ya Steph !! I couldn't read it without glasses, as with the firts blowup taken from the first post only a year date of 1931 was given.

image.thumb.png.6a07971d1f813aa6da7f8e0048a5864b.png

I remember in the 1950's when the Ravenswood dime store sold Ravenswood marbles from a wood tray or divided compartments like above. My hand was not big but I could get a handful for my dime.  Some people will ask what is a dime store. Shopping in a dime store shows my age. It was not the Dollar store then. Many things were 10 cents not $1.00 . Many toy items were a dime. A $1.00 toy was special for birthdays or special occasions. 

It is a problem today for many to remember or realize what the marbles original values were and the cost to produce them.  Most employees of marble factories were some of the lowest paid. Plus every job in the marble factory had hazards, except packaging which was done most by women. Even recent years at Jabo some employee's had trouble reading time or a clock. Many marble factory employees never finished high school.  But they were dependable and hard workers who appreciated their job. Extremely hot, bad air with fumes, bad chemicals, evening and night shifts, moving equipment every where, burn hazards every where, high noise, broken glass, poor lighting, equipment with constant problems, make your own patches and repairs, fire hazard as most buildings were all wood with wood floors, etc. plus numbers per hour goals. All to produce a cheap kids toy, to make smiles. 

DSC05539.JPG.dcde76fe565a024d3de23a26411c7f8f.JPGDSC02473.JPG.be2da8458de6ec60778a1a51fb44c98a.JPGDSC02472.JPG.7a2b4048eedacbef78b2a5fbe2b7789d.JPGDSC02474.JPG.01f5840753fb0589bf1183efd0738cc4.JPGDSC06296.JPG.a4ba059949ae6e889b52485555474d45.JPG

"Thank you Ron"

Yes the generations ahead of us seem to  leave something to be desired in the respect, work ethic, and moral departments. Believe me I earned every penny I ever got, hard earned and well spent for the most part, a few frivolous extravagancies and that's it. I left home the day I turned 15, my Father said if I didn't like it there I could leave and that I did. I worked for my uncle for room and board putting cedar shingles on roofs and siding. We split the shingles from cedar bolts by hand using a hammer and a frow. Hard, hard work, and just to earn my keep, daylight to dark every day until each job was finished. Joined the Navy when I was 17 and that was that. Oh ! I remember what you told me they used to put on the floors to prevent the hot glass from starting fires in the old factories, information gathered on either forum sticks to my in my brain like glue. Eager to learn and also wipe out any wrong thinking I may have learned in the last 30 some years. I love this hobby and love to share what I have learned with others. Nothing brings me greater pleasure than getting off a forum knowing I have helped someone just as interested as me. I wish I would have lived a little closer to all the action as you do. I know for sure I would have been involved in some fashion. Probably a factory worker, I like hard work, the days go by swiftly and you know every penny was earned. " Anything worth doing is worth doing right " a motto I try my best to live by. A lucky man you are Ron, doing what you love to do as a job. I loved my last job ship fitting so lucky as well. I believe the last dime store I went to was almost all toys and such, called Bonanza 88, shut down when I was very young, a dream world for me, my folks had to pry me out of there.

Chad G.

I will go back and track down and post the years and months of each ad if available, thank you Hansel for keeping me on the ball, I believe 99% of them are there but definitely a misstep on my behalf, apologies. Thanks for catching it early, I'd hate to have had to go back and search them all, I have to scroll through a myriad of tiny thumbnails until I find the pages with the marble ads, you just saved me a lot of work, much appreciated. Provenance after all is the reason were all here. I will get every drop of preciouse information available before it's gone forever. i HAVE GONE BACK AND THERE ARE NO MONTHS BUT i AM GOING TO ADD THE YEAR, FROM YEAR TO YEAR YOU MAY SEE THE SAME MARBLE BUT THE PRICE WILL HAVE CHANGED A COUPLE PENNYS, REMEMBER THE GREAT DEPRESSION WAS WELL UNDERWAY BY 1931.

Chad G.

I have them in year by year order now to make it easier for individual research on a certain item, thanks again Hansel it wasn't to bad going through the fingernails I kind of enjoyed looking at all the old toys along the way.

1924 catalog

1924 6.PNG

1924 1.PNG

1924.PNG

1924 2.PNG

1924 3.PNG

1924 5.PNG

1924 7.PNG

Here's the surprise pelt heads

catalog year 1928

I know it gives a description but of what marbles ?? you tell me what was in this box, or even better try and research it ?? The best in the bus are trying to figure this one out. I have a good guess, in fact the only pelts that match the description but I'll leave this quandary to you !! AS said it is still unknown what marbles were in this box, some think it was an advertisement ploy to boost sales because of the coming economic situation,  how about you ?? any feedback would be great.

1928.PNG

1928 1.PNG

last post for a while :

1931 catalog year with one unknown, another showing of the off the wall Akro logos, an explanation of those would be great also, I've tried but to no avail.

1931.PNG

1931 2.PNG

1931 1.PNG

I could make a good guess to the year but one unidentified isn't to bad. I hope you have as much fun researching this stuff as I did finding it. Now on record in the forum, we don't have to worry about deletion.

NOT SURE..PNG

18 hours ago, hdesousa said:

Chad, what a wonderful find!

It would be immeasurably more informative if you could add the date these ads were published.

Thanks again for your hard and diligent work.

Hansel

Thanks again for keeping me on the ball Hansel :thup:

231 views as of now and 22 replies.  Half of the replies were probably Chad.  Evidently most people has these or seen these, not much response. Lots of work and effort for our benefit. I appreciate it. Thank you !   

I guess 100 or 90 yrs back is to far for most people to care, I realize alot of these are or have been posted before here and elsewhere. But not all at once in one place and there are still 2 unanswered ad questions that have been around for years. Maybe someone will do more than look and find out the long standing answers to these questions. I'm still looking, the basis of this forum is provenance, I guess if we already knew all the answers it wouldn't be much fun. Doing this has been it's own reward, maybe a few can draw something from it. Thank you all for your patience. I have tons in folders but can't share it because of copywrite infringement. Not everyone in this world likes to share, to bad we would all be so much better off. Sorry bout that "You're welcome Ron" Stop me when I get off on those 🐇 trails. I have seen 99% of it but for the benefit of anyone new it's here now.

Chad G. :party-243: