peppermint with mica in blue...real deal? .57

Jeremysvt

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

Mark Matthews "Baby Peppermint"?

I think you’re right Ric! Brian Bowden has a couple for sale on his contemporary marble site: https://pbase.com/bkbowden/mm38

same size, 5 swirls (nice catch Chad), with similar pontil mark 

BTW there are some SERIOUSLY awesome contemporary marbles on that site. Brian posts glimpses into his personal collection on Instagram and they’re jaw-dropping. 

Here’s a YouTube video of Mark Mathews working in his studio on a variety of marbles; animal prints, swirls/chevrons, and geometric patterns (my favorite). 

It also contains commentary from Bill Gudenrath who was in the studio with Mark. Bill is an absolute master as well, although he almost exclusively makes vessels; no marbles afaik. 

13 hours ago, Alan said:

Its pretty far out of focus - so ID is part guesswork.  I'll suggest that you back your camera up to allow the camera to focus.

i'll take more pictures.  I only have 20% vision in my right eye so you will sometimes see some blurry ones from me but i swear it looked in focus when I took it lol!

2 hours ago, Jeremysvt said:

i wonder if that lutz was his too....

Mark doesn't released unsigned work.

Before someone jumps in on that - the only examples of unsigned Matthews coming (stealthily) into the market ended in a lawsuit and a judgement barring the offender from the marble collecting market by court order.

5 hours ago, Alan said:

Mark doesn't released unsigned work.

Before someone jumps in on that - the only examples of unsigned Matthews coming (stealthily) into the market ended in a lawsuit and a judgement barring the offender from the marble collecting market by court order.

This is interesting. Can you elaborate at all? For instance, when did this happen, how did this person get their hands on unsigned Matthews marbles, and what did they do with them?

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

This is interesting. Can you elaborate at all? For instance, when did this happen, how did this person get their hands on unsigned Matthews marbles, and what did they do with them?

I would rather not.  My point is that Mark Matthews signs his work.  The court case was online when I read it >10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I would rather not.  My point is that Mark Matthews signs his work.  The court case was online when I read it >10 years ago.

I understand, Alan, but it's intriguing to me so I had to ask.