OX OR OXEN FREE? PELT

Jeremysvt

No ox.

I recommend that instead of hoping/looking for some thing you want in a marble - you look at a marble for what it is dispassionately.  Otherwise its easy to see reds as oxblood, damage as pontils/transitionals or an odd flake as "aventurine" or lutz.  And that will help you identify marbles accurately when you buy.

• Award 1

1 hour ago, Alan said:

No ox.

I recommend that instead of hoping/looking for some thing you want in a marble - you look at a marble for what it is dispassionately.  Otherwise its easy to see reds as oxblood, damage as pontils/transitionals or an odd flake as "aventurine" or lutz.  And that will help you identify marbles accurately when you buy.

Just got to say newbies really do love the condescending post to there posts

14 minutes ago, venwood said:

Just got to say newbies really do love the condescending post to there posts

There is a difference between "condescending" - and advice that will help quite a few people from mis-identifying marbles as buyers by seeing things that aren't there - often by projecting hopes upon them.  This avoids disappointment and over-paying.

I can't count how many times I've seen buyers buy a marble hoping it was a mica - to find out that its scattered oven brick.  There are many, many more examples - such as damage quickly interpreted as a "pontil".

Being capable of accurately identifying marbles is the biggest help to collectors in their journey.  Moving away from the growing "I hope it is rare" trend is important IMO.  With fewer people going to marble shows a few times each year, the opportunity to learn with marble in-hand has become much less common that it used to be.  Marble show attendance is a way to factually learn at an accelerated pace with an immense sampling set.  But now that has waned and people are struggling to learn only by looking at a photo - some of which are poorly focused and over-exposed.

• Award 2

BLA

25 minutes ago, Alan said:

There is a difference between "condescending" - and advice that will help quite a few people from mis-identifying marbles as buyers by seeing things that aren't there - often by projecting hopes upon them.  This avoids disappointment and over-paying.

I can't count how many times I've seen buyers buy a marble hoping it was a mica - to find out that its scattered oven brick.  There are many, many more examples - such as damage quickly interpreted as a "pontil".

Being capable of accurately identifying marbles is the biggest help to collectors in their journey.  Moving away from the growing "I hope it is rare" trend is important IMO.  With fewer people going to marble shows a few times each year, the opportunity to learn with marble in-hand has become much less common that it used to be.  Marble show attendance is a way to factually learn at an accelerated pace with an immense sampling set.  But now that has waned and people are struggling to learn only by looking at a photo - some of which are poorly focused and over-exposed.

BLA BAL BLA!

28 minutes ago, Alan said:

HOW ARROGANT AND SUPERIOR YOU ARE!

Why are YOU hijacking this thread with your thin skinned replies venwood? Free advice and it has nothing to do with you. Grow up and learn some forum etiquette. Alan can teach you more that you could ever learn about marbles, but you won't.

This thread is being monitored. We are all here to learn & maybe have a little fun, please keep the volume down & try to stick to marbles or marble related material when posting. Personal opinions or comments about others should be kept to yourself & not aired on this forum. If you do wish to talk to another member individually we have a message (PM) box in the upper right hand corner.

image.png.1ca3ba4d0ac5dcfd541bbe50bf9aa32b.png

Chad G.

It is a shame that people are able to get some of the best marble identification and advice here at Marble Connection and yet they worry about their “feelings” being hurt.  Everyone here offers their experience totally free and does so that others will learn.  If you don’t like the forum and you think you know it all, then I think you need to start your own forum or simply leave the rest of the members alone.  “No good deed goes unpunished.”  Thanks Alan for your sage advice!

• Like 1