FAKES, NOT AGAIN !!

Chad G.

I guess they'll never stop trying to pass this fill medium off as marbles, let's hope nobody gets duped this time. The seller is also trying to pass off some of those clays painted w/ felt tip markers as "antique clay marbles". Notice the size is nearly the same, they both probably came from the same old fill medium pile. In fact looking over their site I see about 70 to 90% fakes, both clay & glass, I definitely wouldn't buy anything from them, I believe they know exactly what they're doing.

LINK:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/284930147200?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

image.thumb.png.812a022966d29e3877c2ac9ad9623855.png

"Fake Marble" Felt Penn example

image.thumb.png.dee796c592d3eba2491a84a595d82b2f.png

For the record, the star version came before the magic marker version.  Back in the 1990's.  Was one of the earliest Atlanta fakes. 

The star version was made with a kindergarten gold star attached to the mill ball, and the color applied around it.  @hrjaneonce showed a lot she bought where one had the star still attached.  

Seller could believe it's real.  A lot of people have been duped by them.  Someone on facebook was recently swearing up and down that hers had to be real and she was so passionate that I believed she believed it.  Even though she claimed she found them in the 1970's, which was 20 years too early.  People's memories can be faulty.  Maybe she found some clays in the 1970's and got confused about it being these.  Who knows.  A lot of people got duped and don't want to believe they were duped.   So is this seller an intentional duper or a dupee?  Who knows.

• Award 1

Pooper Duper 💩 I bought them because I knew they were fake. I met my favorite painter before he died. Part of his personal painting collect was all of the “fake” paintings that people tried to sell as his. It was cool when he had an example of his original verse a fake. He bought them so someone else didn’t pass them on as his and sell them for 6 figures. 

• Award 1

I like the idea of a painter buying up fake paintings all the people couldn't get them. The only difficulty with buying up fakes on eBay is that it doesn't show that you know that they were fake.  It shows that they sold for x amount of dollars, which actually helps to validate the claims that they were real.  I guess the only opportunity is to put it in feedback but then people don't read so I'm not sure that would really help.😙

I have never seen in person, one of the OP’s. 
Maybe fakes are the new collectable-------nah! 
Give me the real deal—always. When I find a clay or a Bennie they always go to my wife. Little old jars are filled around the house, way more clays than Benningtons. 
It just still surprises me what a bunch of clays will sell for.
Each to their own.

I better pay more attention, my wife put a bunch of them in the front window--I guess that she likes them😁.
Marble—On!!

1.JPG

There's a different seller who currently has gobs of fake chinas listed.   He was cited in recent Marble ID as something who  "usually does pretty well with ID’s".   His fake chinas were brought up on facebook yesterday and he seems very upset about the negative attention.  I'm not naming names because since he has a pretty good rep, maybe he really doesn't know, and maybe he will educate himself, and maybe he'll take the criticism to heart about how the fakes are making his legit listings look a bit less appealing.

If this other guy is brought up in a month or so and he still has them, I'll be on board with saying that he knows exactly what he is doing because he is most definitely on notice. 

2 minutes ago, Steph said:

This second seller didn't like hearing the bad news but eventually he pulled the bad listings.  Some people ARE willing to listen.  

Thanks for helping keep EBAY honest.  No one can know everything about marbles, including buyers and sellers.  It is good to know that some people still will do the right thing, even if it takes exerting some pressure!  Well done Steph!!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, Steph said:

For the record, the star version came before the magic marker version.  Back in the 1990's.  Was one of the earliest Atlanta fakes. 

The star version was made with a kindergarten gold star attached to the mill ball, and the color applied around it.  @hrjaneonce showed a lot she bought where one had the star still attached. 

Here they are.  The star was still attached to the black one. 

It was a mixed lot of nice old marbles in one jar and new/fake/ball bearings in the other.

mr00115h.thumb.jpg.30b1e1395139f7fc73213f2324014553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Award 2

On 8/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, Steph said:

Seller could believe it's real.  A lot of people have been duped by them.  Someone on facebook was recently swearing up and down that hers had to be real and she was so passionate that I believed she believed it.  Even though she claimed she found them in the 1970's, which was 20 years too early.  People's memories can be faulty.  Maybe she found some clays in the 1970's and got confused about it being these.  Who knows.  A lot of people got duped and don't want to believe they were duped.   So is this seller an intentional duper or a dupee?  Who knows.

I'm like a sponge with this kind of info!

Thank you!!!

th_1.jpeg