Photos of my inherited collection as I go

4 minutes ago, ann said:

This is definitely the Freemason`s emblem. Just ordered a book on their symbols, etc., but I know enough already to positively ID this. Wow.  If these few marbles indicate the depth and variety of this collection . . . I hardly know what to say, except that your grandfather was a great collector!

Glad you were able to identify that it's a Freemason emblem for him! I tried to do a little bit of research on it last night and I thought it might be because of the star on it, but was really unsure. I couldn't find much on an L. Matthey, but there was a French artist that went by that name - only could find one print from him and nothing else. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Hey Ben, I don't want to ask any personal information, but it might help to know the year your grandfather was born (his age) and what town/state he lived in while he was obtaining the marbles.  

Just curious... what type of engineer are you? My boyfriend is a Robotics Engineer and I work for an engineering software company where we do software for Water/Bridges/Highway, etc., etc....

I'm not sure exactly when he was born, but he was in Portsmouth, OH and I believe he started collecting them when he retired probably in the 80s.

I am an electrical controls engineer. I mainly deal with anything to do with control panels - PLC/HMI programming and design of the panels

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ann said:

This is definitely the Freemason`s emblem. Just ordered a book on their symbols, etc., but I know enough already to positively ID this. Wow.  If these few marbles indicate the depth and variety of this collection . . . I hardly know what to say, except that your grandfather was a great collector!

Awesome! Thank you for the info and ID! It's the only one I've seen like it so far. Here's another one that I couldn't find info on names if you may know it as well. It looks and feels like stone.

20220816_184533.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BENgineer said:

Awesome! Thank you for the info and ID! It's the only one I've seen like it so far. Here's another one that I couldn't find info on names if you may know it as well.

20220816_184533.jpg

I'm guessing that's one of a kind.  Like something a workman might have done in spare time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BENgineer said:

Awesome! Thank you for the info and ID! It's the only one I've seen like it so far. Here's another one that I couldn't find info on names if you may know it as well. It looks and feels like stone.

20220816_184533.jpg

If you scroll down on this page, do you think it looks like shale? https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/agate-and-other-mineral/

Good grief what an inheritance!!

I don't know anything about machine-mades. But some of the German handmades may be pretty valuable! I can't easily distinguish from pictures whether a number are original handmades or are contemporaries, or whether some have been polished or buffed. It would be worth sitting down with an expert on handmades to get some advice from an in-hand inspection.

Have fun with this astounding collection.

• Like 1

Just now, BENgineer said:

So, I found the marble that was mentioned in the letter from Dennis Webb I posted before. I happen to have No. 1 of 100 made. What a great feeling to know my grandpa was good friends with Robert A. Brown!

A very cool modern take on vintage lined crockery, sometimes called Jasper, marbles - that is a very nice keepsake!

• Care 1