Alley Agate w/ Aventurine - Stellar!

A 3/4 inch swirl = high chance of Jabo or DAS.  A 3/4 inch swirl with oxblood = 90% high chance of Jabo or DAS.   A  3/4 inch swirl with heavy aventurine = higher 95% chance of Jabo or DAS. A 3/4 inch swirl with av and oxblood = 98% chance of Jabo or DAS. A 3/4 inch swirl with gold av or gold lutz = 99% or higher of Jabo or DAS.   

• Award 1

6 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

I think I would be trying to rule out SMM before jumping to Alley at that size.

Which size? 3/4" or 19/32"? And, could you post the link where I can read about first run SMM? Thanks! 

By the way, the marble has been measured at 14.40 mm or 9/16". I bought a new battery for my caliper and it is indeed 14.40 mm or 9/16". 

I'm going with Alley Agate.

alley-measurement.jpg

Edited by rockgardenplants
measurement of marble with caliper

SMM only had a 5/8" machine all along until just recently, I was just at his shop a few days ago and saw his first successful run of 3/4" marbles. They were made less than a month ago. Before that they were all done on a 5/8" machine and 9/16" is easily in the range of what would come off that machine.

• Like 1

In my experience, most old Alleys (but maybe not every single one) that have aventurine are with blue, green, or both.The orange sent up a red flag for me. Of course, Ron probably has one!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rockgardenplants said:

Which size? 3/4" or 19/32"? And, could you post the link where I can read about first run SMM? Thanks! 

By the way, the marble has been measured at 14.40 mm or 9/16". I bought a new battery for my caliper and it is indeed 14.40 mm or 9/16". 

I'm going with Alley Agate.

alley-measurement.jpg

I know Jeff has pictures of SMM runs up at the WVMCC site and that’s a general place to look at pictures of SMM marbles.  

• Like 1

I do want to switch which run it was from, but nobody likely cares.  There were white base SMM with bright orange and green aventurine in several runs that are all fairly similar.  The marble buddies holiday run also has them and this one with the additional brown with black tracer is probably from that run instead of the other 2 I mentioned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nantucketdink said:

I do want to switch which run it was from, but nobody likely cares.  There were white base SMM with bright orange and green aventurine in several runs that are all fairly similar.  The marble buddies holiday run also has them and this one with the additional brown with black tracer is probably from that run instead of the other 2 I mentioned.

I care, as do others I'm sure! I found the information that was shared here well said IMO 👍

8 hours ago, William said:

I care, as do others I'm sure! I found the information that was shared here well said IMO 👍

I'll learn anything I can about marbles! In any event, the marble in question is gorgeous and it will have a special place on the shelf. It will remind me not to jump too quickly to any conclusions. Thank you, everyone!

• Like 1

My reply's were for or near 3/4 inch marbles. At 9/16 inch, I would totally go with Sammys.  I was present at every run until the last couple years. I may have some of these. Not time to go find them now.   Not a Alley. 

• Like 1