Having marbles graded for condition/encased?

TNG

I recently found a service offering a grading product (with certificates of authenticity that include the grade and details regarding the marble) I wanted to ask some other members of the hobby about it. There has been a rise of similar services in other collector fields (Like vintage video games, and comic books.) that offer grading but are also involved in facilitating sales of the same items, which seems to be a direct conflict of interest to me.

What do you think? Have their been services offering encapsulation and grading of marbles in the past?  or are any parts of your collection "graded"

I have never heard of a marble grading service or seen a professionally graded and encased marble.

I just did a Google search and found the Marble Grading Company.

I had never seen it before. It's pretty interesting but I know nothing about the service or who is involved with it. It will be interesting to see what we can learn though.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't see collectors giving up the tactile dimension of owning a marble, handling it while considering purchase and display.  I have experience with slabbed coins - but rare coins and comic books degrade from handling.  Marbles don't.  Maybe because I've been doing this a long time and learned marble grading >25 years ago before everything out there became "near mint" and damage became known as "as mades".  I don't need to depend on someone else to tell me what the condition is, and I don't fancy marbles sonically welded into little plastic cubes with a piece of paper.

As for the link above, I got this:

VpnwSM.jpg

That's the one I came across, but I wanted to be purposefully vague so no free advertising for an unverified service. They appear to link almost all of their examples as direct links to Marble Alans ID Guides, and they also sell packaged marbles from private collections which seems to mean they are the graders and also profit from the sales of said graded items. That does not seem like a healthy practice to me.

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

I don't see collectors giving up the tactile dimension of owning a marble, handling it while considering purchase and display.  I have experience with slabbed coins - but rare coins and comic books degrade from handling.  Marbles don't.  Maybe because I've been doing this a long time and learned marble grading >25 years ago before everything out there became "near mint" and damage became known as "as mades".  I don't need to depend on someone else to tell me what the condition is, and I don't fancy marbles sonically welded into little plastic cubes with a piece of paper.

VpnwSM.jpg

👍

1 minute ago, Alan said:

VpnwSM.jpg

Please avoid visiting the site, The only intention was to discuss possible past attempts at similar systems in the hobby in the past. I was able to visit the page (without a warning like your receiving) after finding it in an Ebay seller's link regarding a "graded" bag of Miscellaneous Vitro's which led to my OP in this thread, having never heard of a grading company I wanted to see what others thought.

I do not want to call the inspiration for the discussion an outright scam, But you almost certainly cannot be 100% impartial when assessing something and also making money based on the outcome of the assessment.

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

As for the link above, I got this . .

BitDefender didn't have a problem with the link but I removed it from my earlier post anyway. As for free advertising - sunlight is usually a good disinfectant . . .

• Haha 1

Just now, TNG said:

Please avoid visiting the site, The only intention was to discuss possible past attempts at similar systems in the hobby in the past. I was able to visit the page (without a warning like your receiving) after finding it in an Ebay seller's link regarding a "graded" bag of Miscellaneous Vitro's which led to my OP in this thread, having never heard of a grading company I wanted to see what others thought.

I do not want to call the inspiration for the discussion an outright scam, But you almost certainly cannot be 100% impartial when assessing something and also making money based on the outcome of the assessment.

I'm by no means suggesting that others may not be interested in such a service.  I'm just pointing out my take on it (regardless of a possible provider).

I have seen like ID and appraisal services in the last few months, and have had many marbles already ID'd here by some of you fine folks even. It always seemed like a labor of love though, There are no charges. I have only really collected glass for a year or two, and only got into marbles in the middle of 2022. I am a babe in the woods, And I know that Coins and other collectibles have been encased for years so wanted to confirm if anyone had tried anything like this in their time as a collector for a marble.

This is certainly the sort of business that is going to require a significant amount of time and effort to build a reputation for honesty and reliability, since you really can't see the entire surface of the marble using the encasement system they appear to be offering. But who knows, maybe they can make it fly.

It's surprising that they haven't already posted here to announce the availability of their services.

I have run into several who said they were marble appraisers and would do identifications. But none ever have lasted one year.  I would be VERY careful and CAUTIOUS with this.  It always comes down to they want money. Which a certified insured company that did it would need money to operate the business. But as of today I have never found or know of any licensed certified marble appraiser.  I checked into that different places for a year. To be licensed and or certified by most states, you have to attend a school for it. You have to have a large base of past verified marble sales within the last year for comparison. You may be called into court to testify as to value which requires a grade.  If you are proved wrong you may be sued. Just like real estate appraisers or home inspectors.  You need a good lawyer and lots of insurance coverage, if you charge for grading and or appraisals.  So beware and do lots of homework of anyone charging for marble grading or appraisals.  This is why it is almost impossible to get insurance on marbles. There are no licensed certified appraisers. If you have a written paid receipt from a seller, some insurance companies will cover a loss.  Even the USPS will no take any Ebay or Paypal receipt or print out for marble values. So USPS insurance for packages of marbles is useless. Claims under $50.00 can be paid by the local postmaster's decision.  But higher amounts and more than one claim will go above the local postmaster and they want a certified licensed appraisal for any loss covered by USPS insurance. I have been here and done this more than once. USPS insurance for marbles over $50.00 is a waste of money and useless. If you have a homeowners insurance that will cover your marbles, it is a very rare policy. If any are available ? MY good friend Bill McCaleb found out this the hard way when his house was broke into and marbles stolen.  But they never found his good ones.  You have to do the home work and be sure or get disappointed. 

Thanks everyone, I think the concept isn't like a terrible idea, if the authority was neutral and well informed, and not involved in the sales side. It's just sketchy to be both the grading "Authority" and also selling your own graded items. It's going to lead to misrepresentation at some point if not just outright fraud.