My favorite faceted agates in my first successful "focus stacking" photo

bumblebee

51 minutes ago, cheese said:

Wow, cool idea and a lot of work I assume, but it made for a great photo!

No, actually the camera does all the focus shifting to take the 20 photos. Many modern DSLRs offer this feature.

Most of the work for me is the setup and then a few minutes of processing them through the software.

A lot of photographs you see, especially close-ups, are using this technique because of limited depth of field on lenses.

18 minutes ago, hdesousa said:

Neat way of increasing depth of focus!  I was wondering how you managed to get so many marbles in such good focus when I can't even get one. (3.75")

Lovely mega agate! Is it faceted?

Focus stacking would help if you took a close-up but it looks pretty good to me. You probably had a fairly high f-stop there? Mine were taken at f/5.6.

50 minutes ago, hdesousa said:

Neat way of increasing depth of focus!  I was wondering how you managed to get so many marbles in such good focus when I can't even get one. (3.75")

That's a beautiful figure and an awesome agate, did she come carrying it?

17 hours ago, hdesousa said:

Neat way of increasing depth of focus!  I was wondering how you managed to get so many marbles in such good focus when I can't even get one. (3.75")image.thumb.png.3d513d4380102de7b9e88afd79de222f.pngimage.thumb.png.00849bf1473fd6cc624c08af11fc3806.png

These images are very nice---very nice indeed.

I just love this stuff!

Marble--On!!

19 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Lovely mega agate! Is it faceted?

Focus stacking would help if you took a close-up but it looks pretty good to me. You probably had a fairly high f-stop there? Mine were taken at f/5.6.

Yes, it's faceted.  Taken with a low end i-phone.  I guess they must have a very small aperture.  Do they even describe aperture in terms of f-stop on smart phones?

18 hours ago, Ric said:

That's a beautiful figure and an awesome agate, did she come carrying it?

Yes.  I've had it for probably 30 years, and she's had it for a lot longer.  I think larger German agates were made for 'cabinet pieces', not toys, just as the exceptionally nice large glass swirls were not meant to be played with.  Can't put my finger on it right now, but I do have bits of an 1800's catalog from the H.H.Tammen Curio Company of Denver, CO which illustrates lots of mineral pieces, including these large agate spheres, sold as cabinet pieces.

• Like 1
  • Award 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hdesousa said:

Yes.  I've had it for probably 30 years, and she's had it for a lot longer.  I think larger German agates were made for 'cabinet pieces', not toys, just as the exceptionally nice large glass swirls were not meant to be played with.  Can't put my finger on it right now, but I do have bits of an 1800's catalog from the H.H.Tammen Curio Company of Denver, CO which illustrates lots of mineral pieces, including these large agate spheres, sold as cabinet pieces.

Thanks, again, it's a very nice piece.