Flinty

Fire1981

I'm wondering if this could be a moonie or flintie or whatever else. It's hard to get a good lighted pic because my light is so bright, but when held in front of a softer light it definitely glows more orange. There is a bubble or something inside of it that is catching the color in one of the pics. 1/2"

Moonie.jpg

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I don't think all Flinties show the "fish-eye". And I am not sure I entirely agree with the graphic you posted, where did you get it?

Not sure where I got the graphic Ric ?? I've had it in a folder for a long time. I posted it on AAM and got the same reaction, everyone agreed buy not entirely, maybe things changed or new information became available I"m not familiar w/ after this graphic was being used ??  I always found it a dilemma trying to figure out the difference between an Akro moonie and a Christensen, there always seemed to be one that fit in between, the Akro looking ones didn't always have fisheyes and the Christensen looking ones didn't  always have the bubbles. I'm glad you chimed in on this. What makes a flintie a flintie ??

@Kimbernugs First, I like to refer to CAC's World's Best Moons as "Moons" and Akro's Moonies as "Moonies", it just helps to keep things straight in my head. Your marble looks more like a Moon to me - especially given the size, the sort of "granular" appearance, and the bluish tint showing best in the third pic.

28 minutes ago, Ric said:

@Kimbernugs First, I like to refer to CAC's World's Best Moons as "Moons" and Akro's Moonies as "Moonies", it just helps to keep things straight in my head. Your marble looks more like a Moon to me - especially given the size, the sort of "granular" appearance, and the bluish tint showing best in the third pic.

Thank you. I just figured it was an opalescent and left it at that, but then saw this thread.

@Chad G. I think CAC's Moons are way less common than Akro's Moonies and that the earliest Moons were hand-gathered. I also think that no Moonies were hand-gathered and that there was a lot more variation in Moonies than Moons. Of course, this is just based on my own experience examining what I believe to be original boxes, and I think that some of the WBM boxes that are out there were back-filled or partially back-filled with the much easier to find Moonies, which is the cause of much confusion.

12 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

The eyes are there. It doesn’t glow. What’s the driffence between this Flinty and a Moonie 🔥

RAR

FA426FB7-12B5-4BF5-96E2-A7E09228BEAB.jpeg

5AAAB7CD-D507-41F2-966A-01D00FB563EA.jpeg

79C77439-119F-4E86-9C78-63A5BAFC33F3.jpeg

Doesn't glow?  Your pictures seem to be showing some fire.  

I think you have a nice early-ish Akro Moonie here.  

1 hour ago, Kimbernugs said:

I'm wondering if this could be a moonie or flintie or whatever else. It's hard to get a good lighted pic because my light is so bright, but when held in front of a softer light it definitely glows more orange. There is a bubble or something inside of it that is catching the color in one of the pics. 1/2"

Moonie.jpg

Could that be a hunk of debris inside.  

The structure isn't swirly so could be Akro.  But since I don't see cutlines, I'm not inclined to say more.  There were some modern Marble Kings on the small side which got called Akro Moonies.  Some were pink, and those are the most recognizable to me.  I can't remember if there was white among the modern Marble Kinggs.

16 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

The eyes are there. It doesn’t glow. What’s the driffence between this Flinty and a Moonie 🔥

Just because of the eyes--I would call the OP a White "Flintie". White ones are a hard find in my experience.
The moonies/moons that I am familiar with are more of a swirl with hard to find cut marks, they glow "Opal" in hand in almost any sunlight.
Just my humble opinion. I appreciate them all.
A humble but beautiful marble! Love em!
Marble--On!!