Alley Corals?

Marbleneophyte

We dug lots of them, that is the most common color combo for them. They used to be said to have been made at ravenswood before the digs. One of the guys who worked at Heaton as a kid came over and told us that the night shift would come in drunk and not get much work done and the marbles they made would still be too hot to handle by the day shift the next day and they were getting in trouble for it. So, they rolled the barrels out into the cold WV night air to try to cool them faster and it backfired. They found out afterwards that it was fracturing all the marbles they did that to and they had to dump them. They went over the steeper side off the loading dock. We dug there and found the halves and here are some, proving to my satisfaction that these and several other types were made at Heaton.

DSCN2575.jpg

• Like 1
  • Award 4

Thanks Dave and thanks Cheese!  I never would have guessed Heaton.  Most of the other swirls are white or green based with a single-color ribbon.  Below are the only other ones that stand out.  Any good ones?  If anyone would like more photos of these let me know.  Thanks!

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Cheese.  Some of these look familiar, especially the ones with green and orange ribbons.  I have 3 plastic boxes full of West Virginia Swirls.  Every so often as I learn more I'll go them to see if I have any hidden gems.  Looks like its time to do that again!  

IMG_1666.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheese said:

We dug lots of them, that is the most common color combo for them. They used to be said to have been made at ravenswood before the digs. One of the guys who worked at Heaton as a kid came over and told us that the night shift would come in drunk and not get much work done and the marbles they made would still be too hot to handle by the day shift the next day and they were getting in trouble for it. So, they rolled the barrels out into the cold WV night air to try to cool them faster and it backfired. They found out afterwards that it was fracturing all the marbles they did that to and they had to dump them. They went over the steeper side off the loading dock. We dug there and found the halves and here are some, proving to my satisfaction that these and several other types were made at Heaton.

DSCN2575.jpg

Great story and great info!

16 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

7A6D06DC-F316-4234-831B-021ACEEE6B7E.thumb.jpeg.f0b7db11bbe50ad259627e3b750abc03.jpegfreaking JABOs (these ones aren’t Heatons).  Have to be JABOs if same type is found together.  Just trying to have some fun

As I am not the Jabo Enthusiast that other are and this would be of the main reasons, too many that copy preexisting color and look-a-like style. Moreover, a flood, while admiral that forfill's collector's desire for rich design and blending bright little glass balls for fare less expense.

It's the dilution into the whole where antique marbles via the law of supply and demand that fails the old population's intrinsic interests.

I am inclined to go with my first instinct along with Nantucketdink's opinion and that a jar all mint like this are those in his photo representing what's worse regarding the Jabo manifestations of foolery. 

I think Josh was showing similar JABOs, not saying the OP marbles are JABOs. That and joking about how people tent to think a group of same mint marbles makes people automatically think they must be JABOs.

Marbleneophyte, the latter marbles are St. Mary's Alleys except the yellow, it could be but not as sure.

My joke wasn’t clear enough on my end.  I was just showing this group of Ravenswoods I found together that people might believe are JABOs too simply because they are a same run group7A6D06DC-F316-4234-831B-021ACEEE6B7E.thumb.jpeg.f0b7db11bbe50ad259627e3b750abc03.jpegfreaking JABOs (these ones aren’t Heatons).  Have to be JABOs if same type is found together.  Just trying to have some fun

7 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

Bottom left hand marble from pic 5 from the OP might have a little Jabo Butt Crack going on🔥

RAR

Lots of makers made simple folded swirls with buttcracks, it’s just common with lots of JABO Classics.  There are lots of JABO Classics without buttcracks too.  They are helpful clues for sure, but far from steadfast rules.