Here is a Pelt for the Experts

akroorka

This one is just under 5/8”.
I purchased it thinking “what a fool”—it is a Vacor—Not!!—My spider senses were working that day—LOL. You never know until you get it in hand do you?
The white is Opal—I will never be able to prove it though—just my gut feeling and experience. The brown is actually transparent.
If you back light this one it appears more of a red than a brown—I tried—could not get a good shot.
This is my best—what do you all think??
I just love this stuff---a new one to me at least.
Marble—On!!

one.jpg

two.jpg

• Like 2

Cool Rainbo, Art. I've always liked the white in transparent ones - like slags with a more predictable structure. And the base on this one is great - I've seen it too, sort of a dark amber/red color. MMmmm good!

• Thanks 1

Resembles an amber Honey Bee colored base IMO but the ribbon color is a new one on me, great mib Brother, a keeper fer sher  :thup:

Found a link where they back lit the mib and it has a red hued base, IMO motor oil appears to be speaking of the base, your mib is almost a dead ringer for the one in this post. Either way an unfamiliar mib to me but a good looker, thanks for posting it man. Just for $#!+ & giggles put up a backlit pic if ya can ??

LINK ::  https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32920&p=253022&hilit=peltier+motor+oil#p253022

• Award 1

Hi nice pelt Art 

cool link Chad 

I also read that the motor oil looks like the Ruby Slipper but looks like oil when backlit then I’ve head of a mib called 10-30 motor oil and seen another called motor oil that looks different then arts and the Ruby Slipper looking one with 3 ribbons 

here is the one I thought was a motor oil b4 doing more research and found out there’s to many mibs to the name so once again I’m lost in pelt land without a name lol  ⬇️ 
last two pics are the Ruby Slipper 

51C1D27E-B6B5-4F62-9C22-0DE90EE41174.png

358B04B2-5FBE-438B-BBA9-61C3A96A7EEE.png

7A1073CD-38BA-428E-BB57-919DD796119D.png

59493735-4EB3-4A15-94B1-5B4D2F0D669C.png

1CEB8B52-9F9D-4605-9868-5E1515B28111.png

70DEEC4C-9F08-4FC3-B39D-9C8B04B76591.png

3401B6E5-9B3D-4C5E-B4FD-42583C65C697.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Just for $#!+ & giggles put up a backlit pic if ya can ??

This is backlit Chad--from my old lightbox--there is some white light leakage.

A new revelation though--some green showed up. It is not pollution.

"Motor Oil" --Really??? This is why I ask for the experts.

A new marble for me and a new name as well--bonus!

Thanks all!!!

Marble--On!!

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

• Like 2

And yet another pelt name I never heard of. Turns out I have two of these brown guys, one that's dark, same as topic but does not return any red and another, much darker brown, but flashlight spot through it is red, missing one ribbon as that side is very thin, go figure.

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

And yet another pelt name I never heard of . . .

It's the tip of an iceberg . . . It used to be that "special" (definitely eye of the beholder) or uncommon marbles were named by collectors (players/kids is another matter). Now many marbles are named by collectors, regardless of how "special" or uncommon they are. I have mixed feelings about the trend but imagine that at some point everyone will realize that a name does not make a marble special, uncommon or, necessarily, even collectible. And it surely shouldn't have any real impact on a marble's monetary value.

I don't have any relation to the site linked below nor have I named any of the Pelts listed therein.  It does serve as a good reference to some Peltier named marbles, though I wish there was a reference as to where the names came from and by whom.  https://www.peltiermarbles.info/

I think knowing what one has is important, especially if one plans on selling them. I've purchased and have sold marbles only to find out their true value later. However, I like what I like and sometimes I'm will to pony up to have it.

11 hours ago, Ric said:

some point everyone will realize that a name does not make a marble special, uncommon or, necessarily, even collectible. And it surely shouldn't have any real impact on a marble's monetary value.

I think Ric nailed it perfectly.

10 hours ago, Peltier Mibber said:

Pardon me,

No expert here, just seen a thing or 2.

I was off about the motor oil here's a photo of one, Clyde posted years ago.

post-175-0-20075900-1384388632_thumb.jpg

Hi that is one of the 3 mibs I’ve seen called Motor oil thx for posting it 👍but I’ve read info from a seasoned collector about the other two that they called motor oil, I’m not going to name or post links hate to be the one pointing fingers 😎 but like I was saying this part of the hobby is confusing who do you believe in a situation like this 

14 hours ago, Peltier Mibber said:

I was off about the motor oil here's a photo of one, Clyde posted years ago.

post-175-0-20075900-1384388632_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave 13 said:

Hi that is one of the 3 mibs I’ve seen called Motor oil thx for posting it 👍but I’ve read info from a seasoned collector . . .

If Clyde posted that marble as a Motor Oil, I have no doubt that when he posted it, it was known as a Motor Oil (talk about a seasoned Pelt collector!). What has happened since, I do not know. Although, I do know that the names of many Pelts have changed over time and there is no reason to believe this isn't an example of one of them. If I had to guess, the definition of a "Motor Oil" has expanded - it just seems to me the way things generally go. Having said that, I have no idea who decides these things or why.

• Award 2