Polish or not?

treetiger

I polished some of my marbles. I'd bought a machine all set up with grit and couldn't wait to get started. Soo, I began grinding the chips out it, seemed amazing. It takes several stages of grinding and polishing. After a few corkscrews, some common swirls, a few Peltiers,  Spiderman and Liberty things changed so much, i decided they were better off as original and chipped, the grinding caused the pattern to change too unrecognizable. For me, polished makes it worse. with German cane cut antiques, once the pontil begins to fade, it's ruined. With remelting restorations you get tiny bubbles where cracks and moons are, for me, there's no up side;' waisted resources. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Personally I don't own or wouldn't have any polished, but that's my personal take. The cost of polishing any of yours will far outweigh the value,  i.e. most all are common type & size, Latts or divided ribbon core. I have several @ and over 2" w/ a very minimum if any damage, but collect what you like and do w/ it as you like, you're the only you you have to make happy, just my 2 cents Randy  :)

Thank you Chad G. I appreciate your input. For my part, I am leaning toward restoring/polishing. This perspective comes from my studies in Japanese Tea Ceremony. It is a well known aspect that when a tea bowl or other object is damaged or abused, the tea bowl is "lovingly repaired" with gold lacquer forming metallic threads that show a new type of care and adornment to the piece. The practice is called "Kintsugi". It is by definition sentimental; but some of the finest and most expensive objects of this "Way" have been cared for due to the abuse of age and fates. It stems from a philosophy that values age and the transience of life. It is considered venerable to salvage and preserve that which is vulnerable but persevering. To destroy is easy, quick, and devastating. To repair and restore and preserve is often slow and very difficult--but worth it.

The first picture is a bowl named 'Kizaemon'. It has a checkered and adventurous past-it is worth 10's of millions of dollars. The coffee cup in picture 3 is average and common; worth 4$. Even though the G.H.M.'s that I now own are common, I still feel a response to do what I can to repair their damage. Chad G.-Thanks again for your great comment and advice.

6a00d834535cc569e200e554039af48834.jpg

26_2.jpg

IMGP0082.webp

Kintsugi-Card.png

blue-vase-lorenzo-medici-all.jpg

• Care 1

50 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

I polished some of my marbles. I'd bought a machine all set up with grit and couldn't wait to get started. Soo, I began grinding the chips out it, seemed amazing. It takes several stages of grinding and polishing. After a few corkscrews, some common swirls, a few Peltiers,  Spiderman and Liberty things changed so much, i decided they were better off as original and chipped, the grinding caused the pattern to change too unrecognizable. For me, polished makes it worse. with German cane cut antiques, once the pontil begins to fade, it's ruined. With remelting restorations you get tiny bubbles where cracks and moons are, for me, there's no up side;' waisted resources. 

Thanks Jeff54. I realize some are beyond repair. Some are still salvageable I think. I will take a hard look at all of them and consultation is always appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

The 1st one at 1"7/8ths, is now 1" 3/4-(ish)... before and after pictures. Matthew DeGraffenried is excellent! Considering the condition is was in to begin with, I am delighted and impressed with his efforts and the final result. Personally, I think it well worth the money spent to give this beauty a new and protected life.

IMG_20240105_095708076.jpg

IMG_20240130_134716175.jpg

IMG_20240130_134740990.jpg

IMG_20240130_134747867.jpg

IMG_20240130_134754737.jpg

IMG_20240130_134807814.jpg

IMG_20240130_134815805.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 1:34 PM, treetiger said:

The 1st one at 1"7/8ths, is now 1" 3/4-(ish)... before and after pictures. Matthew DeGraffenried is excellent! Considering the condition is was in to begin with, I am delighted and impressed with his efforts and the final result. Personally, I think it well worth the money spent to give this beauty a new and protected life.

IMG_20240105_095708076.jpg

IMG_20240130_134716175.jpg

IMG_20240130_134740990.jpg

IMG_20240130_134747867.jpg

IMG_20240130_134754737.jpg

IMG_20240130_134807814.jpg

IMG_20240130_134815805.jpg

Wow ....how much does he charge if ya don't mind me asking. 

I have quite a few like that....

Machine made mibs imho should keep their original finish they loose so much from polishing the ones I have gotten in a couple lots look off and ugly ...

I have had a few polished by the best--Leroy.
It was early on in my collecting addiction --never again. 
I still look at them as polished and a learning experience as well. 
He did very well--I think that I jumped the gun. Today, I would trade them for a nice corkscrew.
I paid bad money for marbles that I do not really like that much today.
Original surface rules regardless of the defects---imho of course.
Hold the reins in--whenever it counts and of course--- to the next!
Marble--On!!

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Wow ....how much does he charge if ya don't mind me asking. 

I have quite a few like that....

Machine made mibs imho should keep their original finish they loose so much from polishing the ones I have gotten in a couple lots look off and ugly ...

$35 for big ones plus S & H.

Normally I'd say not to polish unless the marble is so beat that it is trash and it would be nice enough to warrant the time or expense if it was polished. I polished this one by hand. It would never be appreciated again in the condition it was in, so I polished it and although now it's in polished condition, it can be displayed and appreciated. So I think it was worthwhile. For a common latticino core, not worth it IMO but someone else may have a different opinion. Which is worse, polishing it or tossing it in the trash? Either way it's never going to be an original surface top shelf marble again, so why not make it at least beautiful again?

IMAG1094 (1).jpg

IMAG1102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

3 hours ago, cheese said:

Which is worse, polishing it or tossing it in the trash?

While keeping a marble in its original state is preferable, trashing one that could be improved by polishing is definitely worse. Of course, that's provided that the marble's altered state is fully disclosed. Potential buyers should also know how to tell if polishing has been done (which is something I should do before I start extensively purchasing old marbles). I have some pretty strong opinions on alterations of collectible items, but I'll hold off on sharing them for now.