Alley Calligraphy cut swirls

GoodLutzifer

Alley Pennsboro on both?. Flaming butterfly if you want to imagine it. Some patterns look like birds etc. so why not a butterfly. A similar calligraphy just sold on BLOCKS for a surprising $425. The ice blue has fine cuts hard to photograph and looks better in hand. If I was a collector I’d keep them. But to me they are just melted sand. There are millions of pretty marbles to admire. They belong in collections. I don’t get attached to material objects. 

IMG_4763.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

2 hours ago, GoodLutzifer said:

I don’t get attached to material objects. 

Sell them for sure- and expect a good price.

Size always matters with marbles.

2 hours ago, GoodLutzifer said:

But to me they are just melted sand.

I love it-- a seller that admits it straight up.

“Calligraphy” may be a stretch here imho. I would call them “Killer Flames”—maybe a cross.

If I were selling them—I would let “Block” do it.

They are both Alley imho.

30 years ago these would have sold as CAC—thanks to the diggers—we know better and what better digger to ask for advice than @cheese.

Marble—On!!

I’d agree the dark one is sort of a flame cross. The ice blue is sliced up nice though. Call it fine flames I suppose. Names help define but it’s all about eye appeal. A no-name ten dollar marble can be just as pretty as an expensive one. Enjoy the pics

IMG_4757.jpeg

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Award 2

Nice marbles! I'd put them with my calligraphies whether they are or not. Pennsboro Alley. I didn't dig there but I've dug dirt from there. Still have a few buckets from Pennsboro. 

• Like 2

I don’t get on here much because of time restrictions and I don’t want to wear out my welcome and bombard the topic. Thanks for looking. Certain members give freely of their time and experience here. Special thanks to those few. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad G. said:

No Calig. but a nice flame IMO

I agree, nice flame. The OP marbles to me are calligraphies but the term has evolved over the past 10-15 years. When they are packed that tight and not all stacked in the same direction, it's callig to me. Refer to these examples of real antique calligraphy to draw similarities. Calligraphy isn't just about the letters. 

A gorgeous album of antique calligraphy15465706391_3368952f74_z15469571175_4c9722733e_z

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Yes IMO, stacked flames going in many different directions. Not as strong as some but still I'd have it with my Caligs. Opinions may differ on this MIB  Tommy  :dunno: and probably will.

Thank you good sir...

Exactly what I was thinking👌 but not plain enough to just be a regular shimmering spruce...not calling shimmering spruce a regular mib...lol. 😁