A Sad Loss - Norm Brown

machinemades

We, the marble collecting community, have suffered another loss today. Norm Brown passed away from a long illness on November 27. He was my best friend and roommate for many shows we attended and drove together. He will be remembered for his straight forward personality and wisdom. Rest in peace Norm.

Sami

Sami

This is indeed the worst news. I first met Norm at the same show that I met you years ago in Milbrae. I took Michele along for a mini vacation in Frisco and to introduce her to the marble world. Norm wandered into our room and we immediately struck up a conversation. He spent the better part of the day in there with us and Michele was completely captivated by his straight forward wit and charm. We have been friends ever since. I'll never forget the look on her face when Steve Perch came in and within 15 minutes he and Norm had sealed a deal on a huge Oxblood shooter for 600.00 bucks...........when the money and marble changed hands I thought her jaw was going to break from the fall to the floor. She and I were just talking about it the other day. She asked if I had talked to Norm recently. I told her nope but I owed him a phone call and would try to call him this past weekend. Well I got busy with work around here and the kids and never made the call............. Sami remember we just spoke in the hall at Vegas about Norms deteriorating condition............sometimes even when you know the end is near it doesn't help lessen the blow. I know how close you and Norm were and my heart goes out to you...............believe me when I say I feel your emotion. The world has lost a completely wonderful and honest person in Norm Brown. We have lost a true friend. I miss him already.

Peace be with you STORMIN NORMIN

Steve

Not sure there's adequate words to write here.....

Sami, can't begin to espress our loss as well as our sympathies for you. We know what close freinds you were.

Norm made the seattle show a couple years back, since Norm couldn't fly, Sami drove all the way up here so Norm could come. That's a greeat friendship.

(I have frequently pictured some of his fabulous collection on our website.)

for those that didnt know Norm, he was about as nice a guy as you'd ever meet. and as honest as the day is long. please relay our our deepest sympathies to the family too.

E&D

vegas 2005....

norm.jpg

Sami, I'm so sorry... Your relationship with Norm sounds so similar to my relationship with Bev Brule.... It's coming up on 3 years this month and I still feel like half of a whole, at times (especially at shows)... Though, I also often feel as though she's simply "Always with me" now....

My heart goes out to all of you on the west coast.... You've lost 2 wonderful people in a short time... As Liz said in the thread about Stan, it's tough to express sorrow for a person that you've never met. But, from pictures, threads and just the knowing of the "type" we feel the loss of never having the chance to meet someone that we know we would have loved.... :(

That's sad about Norm. I know his eyesight had been failing for a few years now and it really bothered him that he couldn't see his beautiful marbles as clearly anymore. I had talked to Sami at the Vegas Show and heard that Norm's condition was deteriorating. He was an interesting guy to talk to and he will be missed.

It is sad. I have known Norm for many years. I have bought many marbles from him. Sami was kind enough to take me with him and Norm to the Los Angeles show last year. We talked all the way about marbles. I knew then how much he was failing and knew the end was near. It still doesnt lessen the blow. Sami you know how I feel about Norm and the good you did for him driving. May he rest now and play marbles forever.

Clyde

Sami,

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. He was a great man with a true passion for the hobby. I enjoyed my time with Norm and was thankful you were able to bring him to Vegas last year or he would not been able to attend. Steve and I took Norm to lunch in Caesars, I believe it was and had a nice time as well.

He was one of the most honest guys guys you could have ever met in this hobby. He will be greatly missed.

Del and Julie