Mostly Pix - Marble King

Steph

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cheese said:

I completely agree... I thought all of these were pelts at first. If I'm wrong, let me know.

I agree MK on the one with the dark base.

The group ... I am letting you educate me on that.  I am not up to speed on the modern MKs.   I have seen enough weird ones from MK that I could believe they would come up with a Pelty batch.  

I had them in my pelt box for a couple of years but then saw them sold in bulk lots of new marbles somewhere and realized they were something new. I'm trying to find it now, but so far all I get is this, but these are definitely them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NICE-Marble-King-Multi-Colored-Swirl-Marbles-Mint-Like-MILK-GLASS-/182358889200?hash=item2a756fd2f0:g:1msAAOSwPc9WwS1n

I bet a lot of them do end up in pelt collections.

I finally remembered where I found provenance and I dug out a box of unopened bags of bulk marbles from Marble King that were stashed away in my collection. These are the same marbles, not exactly the same batch or colors, but the structure is the same. Near to a pelt, but not quite right. I think the main giveaway on these is that a good many of them are lopsided, with 3 ribbons on one side and one on the other, unlike pelts which normally have two on either side.

Some other things worth noting in these bags are the "fenton glass" marbles sold by fenton at the gift shop. I've heard they were made with fenton glass by Marble King, but looking at them in with the rest like these, I believe they are just marbles made by Marble King and have nothing to do with fenton at all other than being sold in their packaging.

DSCN2848.jpg
DSCN2849.jpg
DSCN2850.jpg
DSCN2851.jpg

1 hour ago, cheese said:

I had them in my pelt box for a couple of years but then saw them sold in bulk lots of new marbles somewhere and realized they were something new. I'm trying to find it now, but so far all I get is this, but these are definitely them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NICE-Marble-King-Multi-Colored-Swirl-Marbles-Mint-Like-MILK-GLASS-/182358889200?hash=item2a756fd2f0:g:1msAAOSwPc9WwS1n

I bet a lot of them do end up in pelt collections.

Well, I better get me some of those.

I have a few marbles that have the same structure as the ones in your last pictures Chuck, they really stand out as different from Pelts, It may be the angle but they look to have a different construction from the ones in the OP. Most of the mibs in the ebay listing look Pelt to me other than the dark ones and the blue ones. The one thing that stands out as odd to me is the color of yours, I don't know that I have any Rainbos with that color every orange one that I have has at the very least a slight hint of fading from a darker orange/red. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for these, thanks for posting them.  

Mine is definitely Pelt, I've just never seen an MK that could be it's identical twin, I know that there are some similar Pelts and MK's but usually once you get them side by side the differences are usually glaringly obvious. Those Pelty looking ones have my head spinning, the structure is totally Pelt the only thing different from what I've seen in other Rainbos is the orange and the base glass is kind of different.  

• 3 months later...

Ahhhh poopy! Now I have to start all over again. I really wish you guys wouldn't do this to me.  MKs that look like pelts, lopsided,  three on one side one on the other. Then there are your pictures,,,, I give up!:blush:

I know!  

I would totally have thought Vitro on the light blue with the white patch and green stripe.  

(And on some of the All-Red looking ones, but I already knew about that All-Red-y kind of MK -- I have a bag of those.)

• 1 year later...

I think that was a smaller copy of one of my pics of some that I acquired in a lot and they matched up with some on ebay in different colors that were newer MKs, but I lost the photos of the ebay listing ones. I still have photos of mine. At first they were with my peltiers but they didn't fit right. I have some that are similar in pattern in bags of new MKs too but not the same milky base. I'm fairly comfortable keeping them in with my MKs for now based on matching the colors and patterns to these new ones I have on hand. Could be wrong though.  Here are some of the missing photos:

DSCN2851.jpg
DSCN2850.jpg
DSCN2849.jpg
DSCN2458.jpg

The MK swirls sure don't show up all that often and are fun to find. I have one other:

1.jpg

Love the swirls. Do we know how they fit into MK history?  Or do we only have theories.

The orange stripes are starting to look more familiar -- I wouldn't be surprised to find that I have some.  *chagrin*