Two Questions

leroy65

I'm interested to know how big the biggest red slag that you may have? The largest one in my collection is 31/32" and is mint as I had to recondition it. I have several in the 7/8" range. These are older slags and I've had them for years. (some came from the Akro digs)

The second question that I have is: How many older white slag marbles do you have? I went through my entire collection this morning and I only found 13 white and 12 vaseline ones. These range in size from 11/16" to 29/32". Out of about 500 slags to be reconditioned (my own) there was less than 20 white slags. I will appreciate your interest. ----Leroy----

The largest reds I know of are at or around an inch, so yours is pretty much at the top. I think the problem with the clear slags is misidentification as swirls. Every company except Peltier (who didn't appear to be a major player in slag manufacture by numbers) made them including MFC. Vaseline/Aqua aren't particularly plentiful either. If you kept everything that came your way and didn't seek out particular colors theres a good chance the majority of your collection would be brown/green.

-Brad

I'm sorry, I'm just an old dude that doesn't know how to post pictures, but I'm hoping that some of our good marble friends that do know how and have some of these marbles will post pictures of them. (Pretty please) ----Leroy----P.S. Slagmarble-How would you rate the scarcity of the various slags? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I think this will start to open some eyes to the slag world.

Jane beat me to it, Leroy. LOL.

Here are a few of mine. The first I'd call a vaseline slag, then aqua, then white. The last one I believe to be a WV flame, so swirl, not slag, but its close. I just got my first white slag this past weekend. I never see them.

slags.jpg

-Dave

Seeing as I am new...can ya show a picture of what these white slags and vaselines are?

I took a quick photo to show some of the colors. White and brown are fairly common. Blues probably next, then reds. As noted above - aqua and vaseline (florescent yellow) are harder to find. Peach are very hard to find.

Slagsz.jpg

Individual rarity really depends on a couple factors...Size and color are probably the most important then you have to factor in the manufacturer. Not all companies made all colors and in the case of CA can have unique colors not made by anyone else. General rarity tends to go:

Brown/Green/Blue -> Purple -> Clear/Vaseline/Aqua/Red -> Yellow -> Orange/Lavender/Electrics/Peach

When you look at sizes as a rule of thumb 9/16" and under are harder to find in any color especially the ones as you move further to the right. As far as I know all colors can be found up to 1", Lavender might be the exception. The only ones I know of that exceed an inch with any frequency are Brown/Green up to 1 7/8" Blue up to 1 5/8" and Purple/Clear up to 1 1/4" with all of these more than likely being MFC.

-Brad