Akro Sparkler With Blizzard Aventurine

Alan

and absolutely prooves that those are indeed akro.( some have questioned that...not us)

it looks like the aventurine was sprayed on with a paint can doesn't it? that's how ours looks too!

If you have an example I'd be interested in a photo or two.

I've been thinking about the unusual surface layer of "aventurine" and why it would be that thick, right on the surface, that color etc. and how that would occur in the glass pot. That led me to a (completely factually unsupported) guess that the machine operator may have been feeding colorant (metal salts) into the pot by shovel (standard method) and could have dropped some on the rollers. When the next few marbles went through the rollers - they would have picked up the loose dry powder - which was then fused to the glass (but only on the surface). This color of "aventurine" isn't the normal color we see in subsurface glass and is far too dense....hard to imagine any other reason it would be on the surface only.

Anyway...thats my unsupported speculation.

I will post a picture tomorrow. I think your thoughts on how they may have done this could be on target. I have seen more than one though, so I am also wondering if they were an experimental or just a limited run thing.

sorry no sunshine, but here's pic. as promised.

BTW blue and green lovers~~eat your hearts out. LOL!

aventsparkler.jpg

If your aventurine is strictly at the surface like mine - then my guess of glass colorant salts on the rollers and some hot marbles picking it up seem all the more likely. Otherwise there would be some in the green or clear matrix. Thanks for the pic.

Assuming that your guys hypothesis is correct, what would be a good presumption of the number of these aventurine sparklers that were produced. 50-100 or far less before all the aventurine was picked up off the rollers by the molten hot sparklers?

And Dani...your's is amazing!

Assuming that your guys hypothesis is correct, what would be a good presumption of the number of these aventurine sparklers that were produced. 50-100 or far less before all the aventurine was picked up off the rollers by the molten hot sparklers?

And Dani...your's is amazing!

There is no way of knowing the answer to that supposition. If I had to guess - based on the shape of the rollers, the fact that they are smooth and constantly in motion (unlikely to hold metal salts well) - if it were a one-time occurence - probably fewer than 12. If it happened 3-5 times over a year - then 3-5 times that. Then divide by the high percentage that were lost to time and/or discarded and never dug from a dump site. It is really a freak/chance occurence - essentially an unintended and unwanted contamination of a marble whose production design isn't supposed to look like that.

Manufacturers were pretty good at culling their production pieces and dumping the rejects.

There is no way of knowing the answer to that supposition. If I had to guess - based on the shape of the rollers, the fact that they are smooth and constantly in motion (unlikely to hold metal salts well) - if it were a one-time occurence - probably fewer than 12. If it happened 3-5 times over a year - then 3-5 times that. Then divide by the high percentage that were lost to time and/or discarded and never dug from a dump site. It is really a freak/chance occurence - essentially an unintended and unwanted contamination of a marble whose production design isn't supposed to look like that.

Manufacturers were pretty good at culling their production pieces and dumping the rejects.

Ok, that makes sense. Is there any paperwork that indicates how many runs of sparklers were produced over the period of time that Akro was a functioning marble mecca? If so that would enlighten us as too the potential even more so.

Alan, if you don't me asking, how much were you able to pick up that example for?