Would You Call This Handmade A Tri-Stage?

m!b$

Urrrrghhhh..... If there was ever a marble to test my resolve on that, this one could be it!!!

LOL

I guess I have to call it the "Missing Link" between 2 styles!! Those transparent lines are so much more distinct and pulled away than the "usual" of that style...

So... I'm gonna cop out and say... It's not about the name. It's about the marble!!

If this style were to be considered a tri-stage, this type of tri-stage would be the most common and least desirable....

YET, this marble as a 2 stage is equal to, or better than some clear cut tri-stages!!!

Like the song says... "It ain't the meat, it's the motion!!!"

No matter what you call it, this marble clearly ROCKS!!!

The white solid core almost looks lobed in a couple of the pics and the transparent colored bands almost appear to edge the lobes but in the other pics the core appears smooth and the colored bands seem to be slightly above the core. It's a 2 1/2 Stage forsure! David P.S. And superbly executed.

I would consider it a TRI-level,caged style.

I use the term,level,because it more literal,for me.

Caged style,even though some would require it to have a specific,number(or more)outer bands of color.

Everyone I know would like to see a "clear" separation,and of course the wider the gap,the better.

I think the intention for this marble,when it was made,was to have 2 layers of color,with the white,center core for the background.(It makes the "colors" stand out.)

Think of it as when the gather for the marble was made.

As far as the color goes,the white was picked up,folowed by the red and blue,and finaly the outer yellow.

Of course,the FINAL results may vary,from the stretching of the cane,and shear.

I usually use my perceptions of the intended structure,when deciding what to call,handmade swirls.

How about a caged tri-level,with the low end of desireable structure?

Oh crap,too many big word for me!

Weak,caged tri-level,but theres realy nothing weak about it!

Urrrrghhhh..... If there was ever a marble to test my resolve on that, this one could be it!!!

LOL

I guess I have to call it the "Missing Link" between 2 styles!! Those transparent lines are so much more distinct and pulled away than the "usual" of that style...

So... I'm gonna cop out and say... It's not about the name. It's about the marble!!

If this style were to be considered a tri-stage, this type of tri-stage would be the most common and least desirable....

YET, this marble as a 2 stage is equal to, or better than some clear cut tri-stages!!!

Like the song says... "It ain't the meat, it's the motion!!!"

No matter what you call it, this marble clearly ROCKS!!!

If Scoop hadn't said it first, I would have! Like her AND Griff, I personally would like to see more distance between the core and the first set of colored ribbons / threads, but there IS more distance there than is usual on this type . . . I might not call it a hard-core tri-level but I'd be entirely happy to call it mine . . .

well very nice and he size , it is what looks like ?? just about all big marbles will have some kind of lines in the glass or some thing that shows , this looks like it is perfect right up to the pontil's . I would have to see it in hand before paying $700 plus . every one of mine hase some form or ripple or some thing in the glass . way to shinney for me . Mike

Again, I have to compare knowledge of "Then" vs. "Now..."

It used to be that I could feel pretty confident about what was polished and what wasn't...

With the machines and such... My confidence Has slipped significantly.

So, when guys like Buddy, who have seen TONS come out of a machine say "BINGO," I'm seriously compelled to listen and take another look...

What I'm seeing, isn't so much to do with the 5th photo, as it is with the 6th....

And, what Galen says.....

Gotta agree. both ends open= POLISHED In every marble like it I have seen in hand.

I could say that I've seen pontils on unpolished marbles that look like the 5th photo...

But, the 5th photo isn't clear enough for me to say that... And, I don't know what Mandrakes and Buddy know...

However.... That 6th photo... Usually, the first pontil.... Which would be the heated end of the cane when the rounding process begins... Is pretty smooth and well twisted... Whisps of the twist usually taper down pretty tight and disappear in a very indistinct melting sort of way...

This pontil, with it's perfect little circle that seems to be light in color??? Yeah... I have to admit... It doesn't look right.

Pontils have lots of differnt looks and this could be fine... But, for $700?? I'd want to see it in hand unless I had a solid return guarantee....

Here's another one. A plain white core surrounded by colored bands, with space between the core and the bands. I don't know how many stages this is. I'm just saying it seems like the intention on most, if not all of these, was for the colors to enhance the plain white core.

Marble

OK... I don't want to start trouble... But, I've gotta ask this.... (Leroy, hold on and no matter WHAT I say... Remember, I love ya!!! ;) )

In past discussions about polished marbles, there has been a lot of views on how much it effects value... And, how damaged does a marble have to be before polishing IMPROVES value, rather than lowers value...

So.... Here's a marble... It sold for $700.00 based on the fact that it is supposed to be all original...

The rest is hypothetical, because we only have opinions, not surety of it's being polished...

(Stated clearly... So as not to effect this auction...)

Let's say, the buyer gets it and determines that it IS polished... What should the difference in value be??

How damaged would this marble have had to be in order for the value to be better polished, than in original damaged condition??

Given the fact that there doesn't appear to be any "left over" post-polish damage and it doesn't appear as though a lot of glass was removed...

Is it possible that the original condition could possibly have been bad enough to warrant polishing that would enhance, rather than subtract from it's value???

It's pretty tough, aside from living in an aquarium for a long period, to damage a marble that much, without doing deeper damage....

Sooooo, could it be... That this marble may have had the naturally made "ripples," maybe a few scratches and 3 or 4 light hits, or teeny chips and someone thought it would be SO MUCH better if all that was removed and the marble was squeaky perfect???

THAT is what scares me about marble polishing becoming a "common" practice...

I'm just saying it seems like the intention on most, if not all of these, was for the colors to enhance the plain white core.

Yup... This is definitely an easier case...

For me, it's not about the amount of space between the core and the colors... It's gonna be crazy if we get to the point of having to determine "how much space" qualifies...

It's all about style and design. There could be a mile of space in this one and it wouldn't matter to me... The color is a part of the core design.

I know many people may feel differently... But, if they are looking for a "rare" tri-stage marble... Called that, because of it's intended design, not a technicality... This is NOT one of them...

If your happy to buy a car that looks like a Mercedes, because you can't see a difference. This is the perfect "Tri-stage" for you....

I dont know the relevants of cars,to marbles.Let me have a reach,

How about,Just because a polish sausage,looks like a hot dog,doesnt make it one. :P

I see a clear separation between the levels.Makes it a tri level.

Thats the whole point of useing a term,tri-stage/tri-level.It has 3 layers.Rarety,and desirability,comes after,the identification.I cant see,NOT calling it a tri-level,just because its not a highly desireable,design.

IF ITS NOT A TRI LEVEL,THEN WHAT WOULD YOU CALL IT?

You are more than likely to see an "opening",on a faceted hand made,But as Galen says,I cant remember seeing an opening on both ends,of a handmade,without something "done" to the marble.

I think the dead give away,is that there is no surface texture.At least,I can not see any,in any of the photo's.

Griff, I guess it's the interpretation of "Tri-level".....

Actually, maybe Tri-stage IS a better term... It's not really about "levels"... It's about sections of design patterns.

This marble..... Actually, I feel BOTH marbles.... Have 2 design patterns. The core, which is a white base with transparent stripes and the outer layer of thin yellow and / or white lines...

The fact that the transparent color "floats" still makes it part of that design...

Sooooooo, OK... It IS 3 levels... YUP!! That's a literal thing. AND, finding this type of marble is not difficult at all.... It's just about as common as any other type of swirl out there.

Sooooo, what's the big deal?? What makes it different or RARE??? NOTHING.

OK... Now.... Let's think about OTHER tri-stage / Tri-level designs....

Ya know... The ones that are REALLY rare and hard to find.....

The ones that people who are looking for "rare, hard to find tri-stage / tri-level" marble are looking for....

Here's a more graphic, detailed explaination....

I am one of those people who for many years, has been specifically been looking for Tri-stage / Tri-level marbles...

If I walk into your room at a show and you say you have one, I'm interested.... If you show me a REAL tri-stage marble, I like it and I can afford it (Always a key factor for me... LOL)

I will buy it....

If you show me one of the marbles in this thread.... I'd buy the first one. NOT because it's a tri-stage. But, because I LIKE it!!

If you show me the second one... I won't buy it... Cuz, I already have a TON of those and don't need another..... They are not rare.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!! ;)

Here's another one. A plain white core surrounded by colored bands, with space between the core and the bands. I don't know how many stages this is. I'm just saying it seems like the intention on most, if not all of these, was for the colors to enhance the plain white core.

Marble

I notice that Alan is careful to clearly state the condition and his own conclusions about polishing. That's one big difference in the way the descriptions were done in the two auctions. I know that wasn't the point, but it's what struck me after reading both listings.

Also, Alan doesn't call this design "rare" or "hard to find," which I appreciate...

I still wish there was a differential between these and what I consider a true 3 level swirl.

Again, it is a term that was clearly understood.... Then, literal interpretation stepped in and changed the meaning.

Now, the edges are blurred and the difference of definition for those who coined the term, is tough to fight....

Everything Changes.....

Hi Sami,

I consider,any tri-level marble rare,when relating to what I see in the general population of handmade.(at marble shows/ebay,out in the "wild").

As far as observing just,the tri-levels,this particular one is consider to be a "common" type.(at least thats what I hear and agree with,from other handmade people.)

There are many types of tri-levels,with differant structure.Some have solid cores,for the center,some with single or double ribbons for the center,lattacinno center,4 band centers.

I do not "know" that this type,with the white solid core center is most common.Just going on observations,over the years.There's no documentation,on the # of each type made,100 years ago.

It could be that the ones that were most desireable,dissappeared into collections,makeing this type "appear" to be the most common,made.

Either way,I would say,if your looking for tri-levels,more than likley,this is the type you would see,more often.

Griff