The New *popular American Marbles* Book Is Out

Still waiting here too. Did you get an email "order shipped" notice first? Looked like it would be great for newbies from the interior pictures at Schiffer. Won't it be nice when newbies stop asking simple questions. :huh: Like this. :) Is there a pale pink based MK shown? I just found a batch with pink instead of white in the 4 basic MK patch colors (red, green, blue, yellow).

Cool. I did not know there was a first book.

They show as early as 1991 the jabo classic runs? with pics look decent.

I believe there are earlier runs. I think I was told mid to late 1980's?

Jeannie, thanks for the pictures.

The first book *Machine-Made Marbles* came out last year and devotes much of it's writing to the history of machine-made marbles of the various companies. This book is about identifying various marbles. The authors are Dean Six,Susie Metzler and Michael Johnson who also authored this latest one.

Kris

I recieved my book a few days ago and looked it over intently....I have mixed emotions about it....Some of the ID's are differant than I've heard on the "boards" and I've seen quite a few errors in the book in other avenues....

All in all though, it is a well constructed reference manual...3 of 5 stars............

S~

I would agree with you Steve. I was a little confused with the *insert* labeling of the marbles on some of the pages, however, that could have been done by the editor or whomever set it up for print and no fault of the authors. As for the quality of the pictures, I would rate them a 7 out of a ten. I just think that they could have been more defined, especially with the Jabo section. They should have hired BT to do the pictures!

Kris

Jabo, Inc. was orginized in 1987 by Jack Bogard, Dave McCullough & Joanne Argabrite. They did make industrial marbles but Dave would make a couple of special (Classic) runs every year.

Over on Marble Mental there were pics of these early (1980's) "Classics" posted awhile back.

I believe it was Roningeorgia (over @t Marble Mental) who had posted pictures of the early "classics" from the late 1980's. I will go back and check. It was awhile ago.

In the R.Block's Marbles I.D. and Price Guide it's stated that Jabo, Inc. was orginized in 1987 by Jack Bogard, Dave McCullough & Joanne Argabrite.

Mike Johnson reply: In Dave's own words- - he was General Manager at Champion Agate until mid 1991 - he left there in that same year and made his first run of Classics in Oct, 1991 at JABO. JABO, INC was organized in 1987 by Jack Bogard and JOanne Argabrite and they made industrial marbles until Dave got there - - - this info came from all three of those people. Mike Johnson

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately Schiffer in the magnanimousness of their wisdom and with supposedly new state-of-the-art photographic equipment provided page-after-page-after page of worthless marble photographs. The three authors associated with this book considered it a crime and pretty much disown the book. I wrote to Peter Schiffer about the book and he was completely oblivious, interested more in casting aspersions on my marble judgement. David Chamberlain