West Virginia Marble Collectors Club Show

The WVMCC Show was great. It's always nice to see their members again -some of whom are dear friends. The show honored David Mccullough and JABO this year and the Tribute group pitched in and helped do that. I usually show pics of people first, but this time I have decided to show the marbles I added to our collection first. So, I'm starting with marbles.

Weldon and I stayed in Parkersburg. There was no room in the inn. It wasn't really too far away and we could drive to Reno or Vienna quite easily. We started by going out to Reno and visiting with David McCullough. He had been given the job of selling some Alley Agate marbles for a friend and we bought a box. Here is the box.

alleybox.jpg

David used a Jabo Classic Experimental box and filled it with Alley Agate marbles. he signed it and noted that it was Alley Agate.

alleyagatebox.jpg

I guess I should have left the box as David filled it, BUT I had brought our Alley Agate collection or most of it with us and I switched some I believed to be prettier into the box, so the box is not exactly the way David sold it.

alleyagatemarbles.jpg

I didn't have this box with me or some of them would probably be in the one we bought from David.

alleyagateuv5C27s.jpg

all of these Alley Agates are made with UV glass

Someday, we'll have to start an Alley Agate post and I'll show the rest of the collection.

bassmarble.jpg

One of my favorite West Virginia citizens is Julia Powell. I have a lot of her art work. Julia paints on marbles by Sammy Hogue. This one is near 3 inches. it's a bass marble signed by both Sammy Hogue and Julia Powell. This fisherman has caught a large bass.

bassmarble3.jpg

Front side of the bass marble

hoguemarble.jpg

Another of my favorites is Sammy Hogue. The marble stand matches the marble.

hoguemarble2.jpg

parsonsjokerbox.jpg

This is one of Ed Parson's Joker Encore Run boxes. It's autographed by David McCullough. Ed delivered our box to the West Virginia show.

parsonsjokerencore.jpg

We bought this box of encore marbles. My favorites are the floaters.

parsonsjokers.jpg

This is another box delivered to us by Ed Parsons. Many of them have goldstone and/or oxblood, really pretty marbles.

seesemarble.jpg

And who doesn't like Eddie Seese marbles? I love his use of color.

seesemarble2.jpg

Really nice to see Eddie again. I also bought a Bobbi Seese marble and will show her work later.

peltier1.jpg

We bought a lot of vintage at this show also. This one used to be called a Peltier Multicolored Swirl. That's the name I still use. It is larger than an inch.

peltier2.jpg

I bought a lot of vitro - some opals, lots of tigereyes, couple of parrots, etc.

vitropeacock.jpg

Peacocks are one of my favorite Vitro Agate marbles. Some of them have as many as 7 colors.

I have shown this box before, but it had a marble in it that didn't belong. I found the last peacock at this show.

Now I'll talk more about the show.

the club held it's business meeting on Friday night. They honored David McCullough. There was a cake and the presentation of a marble painted by Julia Powell. She had painted the JABO factory on the marble and a likeness of David. I didn't get a pic, but maybe someone did and they'll add it to the post.

bobbyard.jpg

Bob Byard - vintage marbles. He is one of our Tribute group.

bobneff.jpg

Bob Neff does the newsletter for the WVMCC. He's also one of our Tributes

brandstetterandpowell.jpg

Diane Brandstetter looking at the Julia Powell marbles she purchased. This is my friend Julia Powell.

chuckanddianebrandstetter.jpg

Chuck and Diane Brandstetter. I think I bought the peacock marble from them and several tigereyes.

I bought the rest of the vitros I found while in Sturtz's room. Zigafoose came in and offered marbles for sale and I grabbed up opals, a parrot, some tigereyes.

chuckbrandstetter.jpg

Chuck Brandstetter

dalesimmons.jpg

Dale Simmons and wife. Dale is always at the Tribute runs and has saved us a lot of glass and marbles. He has a great eye.

dannygrocki.jpg

Danny Grocki and an unknown to me customer

The elusive Ron Shepherd can be see over the right shoulder of of Danny Grocki and between Danny and the unidentified customer you can see Frank Sellers. Ron and Frank are Tributes.

dianebrandstetter.jpg

Diane and Chuck were at the table next to ours and I finally got her looking at the camera so we can see her face.

eddieseese.jpg

This is Eddie Seese

eddieseesemarble1.jpg

Seese marbles

eddieseesemarble3.jpg

More Seese

seesebobbi2.jpg

Bobbi Seese marbles - I bought one of these

seesemarblebobbi.jpg

More Bobbi Seese

ednaandweldon.jpg

Edna and Weldon Eaton - We did not bring any marbles to sell. We brought boxes for Tributes and our keeper Tribute boxes to show.

edparsons.jpg

Ed Parsons - tops made from joker cullet by Andy Davis Ed joined the Tributes for their Friendship run.

griff.jpg

David Allen Griffie

Griff is also a Tribute

griff2Cbrianiceandson.jpg

Brian Ice and son at Griff's table. You probably know Brian as akrogather

johnduck2Cunknown.jpg

John Duck and a dealer I don't know. Feel free to let me know who these other two guys are. The one in the baseball cap has a wife who works at Marble King, but i don't know his name.

johnduckandunknown.jpg

John Duck and George Arman. Thanks to Duffy for the name of the guy in the Pirates shirt.

johnives.jpg

John Ives

johnives2Cpatflanagan.jpg

John Ives and Pat Flanagan (flanco)

junioriceandwife.jpg

Junior Ice and wife

kurtvonkleistjr.jpg

Kurt von Kliest - cabinet maker Weldon and I bought a cherrywood cabinet that holds nearly 4,000 marbles from him. It is hand made and gorgeous. Don't have it yet. A friend in West Virginia is storing it until we can get back to WV with our suburban. It won't fit in a car. This was our most expensive purchase. Kurt does great work.

kleistwallcabinet.jpg

This is Kurt standing by a wall hanging cabinet he made. i think he sold some of this style too.

vonkliest.jpg

Marble boxes by Kurt von Kliest Kurt and wife live in Pennsylvania

morgan2Cunknown2Cfoppiano.jpg

Nola Morgan is in the background. She is a Tribute.

Unknown dealer to me and Bill Foppiano Bill has never let me forget that I sent Weldon down to look at some akro he had for sale at the Sistersville show some 5 or so years back. Weldon came back with silver dollars. When I asked where the marbles were, he said here and showed me the silver dollars again. I had to go back and pick out marbles.

patandpattyflanagan.jpg

Pat and Patty Flanagan

powell2Cfarrar2Cpatterson.jpg

In the background are Howard Powell, president of the WVMCC and Elizabeth Farrar

Seated is Walt McKee and the customer is long time JABO collector Anthony Patterson.

Howard and Elizabeth are Tributes.

powell2Cice.jpg

Julia Powell and a few of her marbles Junior Ice and wife on Julia's left

Julia and Howard Powell are Tributes. Howard hasn't missed one of our runs and Julia only one because she was working at Fenton.

rubysellers.jpg

Ruby Sellers, secretary of WVMCC Ruby is a Tribute.

simmonsandsturtz.jpg

Dale Simmons and Steve Sturtz showing the marble named for Dale.

stevepletcher.jpg

Steve Pletcher (Duffy) Steve is also a Tribute

sturtz2Cfarrar2Cgrocki.jpg

Steve Sturtz, Elizabeth Farrar Danny Grocki and a man I don't know

Danny Grocki is a Tribute.

sturtzandfarrar.jpg

Steve Sturtz and Elizabeth Farrar selling Steve's latest JABO book

sturtzandfarrar.jpg

sturtzandflanagan.jpg

Sturtz and Patty Flanagan Steve is holding the awards that we gave out later in the show

unknown1.jpg

this man had the largest Charles Gibson snakeskin I've ever seen. I'm sorry I don't know his name.

unknown3.jpg

Another dealer i don't know. Duffy and Paula think this guys name may be Dave McMahan.

weldoneaton.jpg

My favorite dealer at the show He's from Texas

During the show the Tribute group presented some awards. I have no pictures of the people receiving them because i was busy helping to pass them out. In hind sight, I wish someone else had passed them out so I could have capture the appreciative looks on the faces of the honorees.

We gave out recognition awards and a marble to each person with a marble named for them that attended the show.

wvmcccertificate.jpg

Persons who received their named marble and certificate were asked to post a pic of their certificate and marble on this post. I've waited a long time to post so don't know if anyone will.

I approached Steve Sturtz about doing a special box of named marbles for people who had been a great help to our group. he liked the idea. David McCullough gave us the wooden collector boxes to contain the marbles and I adapted the boxes to hold a lot of marbles. A week before the show, the project became bigger than I had planned. Steve added to my list of people. I had to make more boxes -paper ones and they held a lot more marbles. We talked about Steve and myself giving the marbles to fill the boxes and that's what happened. However, we had a mixup about who was bringing what and had to ask duffy for a marble or two and some of our Tribute friends helped with another marble that had turned out to be quite rare. In fact, the HOD marble is so rare that Howard didn't have enough to give his family and friends one of his special marbles. I had Howard pick a second marble to be named Hod and I dubbed it "Hod too"

woodenboxtop.jpg

This is the box that Dave McCullough let us use.

woodenboxinsidelid.jpg

Inside the lid of the box is a collage of many of our Tribute members and an explanation of the reason for the gift.

specialwoodenbox.jpg

The marbles in the box Each marble in this box is named for someone. The last marble is "Dale". Dale was holding his marble in an earlier pic. The two large yellow marbles are fillers. Everyone got some filler marbles to be replaced by a named marble as that event occurs. On the last row, the fifth marble over - that's Patry's Palette. it's very hard to find, very rare. I hope the folks who got a filler in that spot can find one for their box.

These boxes were presented to Dale Simmons, Ronnie Ewers, Richard McKnight, Sammy Hogue, Elizabeth Farrar, and Gary Langley.

specialnamedmarbleslid.jpg

this is the larger special named marble box lid

specialnamedmarblesinsidelid.jpg

Inside lid

specialnamedmarbles.jpg

The marbles inside the paper special named marbles box. The last two rows are fillers except for the first two marbles on the next to last row.

These boxes were presented to Howard and Julia Powell, Steve Pletcher, David McCullough, Bruce Burkhart, Bill McCaleb, Ron Shepherd, Ruby and Frank Sellers, David Allen Griffie, Bob Byard, Steve Sturtz, and Edna and Weldon Eaton.

Thanks for looking. Edna

wvmccbags.jpg

These bags of marbles were sold at the show for fund raisers. I know Nola Morgan worked on these and another WVMCC member did also. Somebody please let me know the name of the other member. Duffy tells me that Tana McCraw was the other member who worked on the marble bags. She is Nola's niece and an important member of the WVMCC.

wvmccmarbles.jpg

Sample of the marbles in the bag.

The club also sold WVMCC t shirts and held a silent auction. The show was successful because they were able to pay their bills and have some money left over for the next years activities. Thank you WVMCC for a great time. Edna

edna...tana mccraw ,nola's niece was the member who helped her with the bags...i think she was in charge of getting the t-shirts, and she always got that together in the past.....she does alot of work for the club and should be recognized....

Thanks again Duffy. I don't think she is in any of the pics. If you see her let me know. I also notice that I don't have a pic of Sammy Hogue posted. I can't believe I didn't get a pic of him. I remember taking his picture. Sometimes my camera eats pictures I think I took. Edna

hogueontank.jpg

Here's a previous pic of Sammy Hogue that is one of my favorites.

daveandsammy.jpg

Better pic of Sammy with Dave McCullough

joeandsammyhogue.jpg

Sammy with his brother

sammy.jpg

Hope this makes up for not having his pic at the show. He had a big setup with lots of marbles for sale.

paula...thats gettin close and that may be it!!! thats what i get for usin my little nick names.... i always called him dave from pennsylvania...guess who i call that guy from canada...lolol...that guy with bill foppanio is [something] billetter ...he from new martinsville wv...

Thank You! Great bunch of photos Edna. I had two cameras with us and never took them out of the bag. There were so many marbles to see and new people to meet that I forgot all about them. We were 100 miles away in the car when Patty asked if I took any pictures. Oh well, next time. Thanks also to everyone who worked so hard to put on the show.

What a post,took some time and effort,as usual. The marbles on the show marble bags are hand cut out and hand painted. Most of them represented some of the special expiermental Jabo run marbles. It was a big pleasure to see everyone back again and some new faces. Thanks for the special marbles and special box sets,that people gave to me and others. Thank You,Pat for that nice Alley. I could do a whole post of Thank You,s. It was nice to see marbles trading hands,even without money. That is what this show and group is about, Friendship.

The WVMCC 2010 show location is moving back to the Mineral Wells location,just off I-77 south of Parkersburg. Lots of plans and work being done already for 2010. Plan to return or visit us next year.

THANK YOU Edna !!!!!!!!!

johnives2Cpatflanagan.jpg

John Ives and Pat Flanagan (flanco)

junioriceandwife.jpg

Junior Ice and wife

kurtvonkleistjr.jpg

Kurt von Kliest - cabinet maker Weldon and I bought a cherrywood cabinet that holds nearly 4,000 marbles from him. It is hand made and gorgeous. Don't have it yet. A friend in West Virginia is storing it until we can get back to WV with our suburban. It won't fit in a car. This was our most expensive purchase. Kurt does great work.

kleistwallcabinet.jpg

This is Kurt standing by a wall hanging cabinet he made. i think he sold some of this style too.

vonkliest.jpg

Marble boxes by Kurt von Kliest Kurt and wife live in Pennsylvania

morgan2Cunknown2Cfoppiano.jpg

Nola Morgan is in the background. She is a Tribute.

Unknown dealer to me and Bill Foppiano Bill has never let me forget that I sent Weldon down to look at some akro he had for sale at the Sistersville show some 5 or so years back. Weldon came back with silver dollars. When I asked where the marbles were, he said here and showed me the silver dollars again. I had to go back and pick out marbles.

patandpattyflanagan.jpg

Pat and Patty Flanagan

powell2Cfarrar2Cpatterson.jpg

In the background are Howard Powell, president of the WVMCC and Elizabeth Farrar

Seated is Walt McKee and the customer is long time JABO collector Anthony Patterson.

Howard and Elizabeth are Tributes.

powell2Cice.jpg

Julia Powell and a few of her marbles Junior Ice and wife on Julia's left

Julia and Howard Powell are Tributes. Howard hasn't missed one of our runs and Julia only one because she was working at Fenton.

rubysellers.jpg

Ruby Sellers, secretary of WVMCC Ruby is a Tribute.

simmonsandsturtz.jpg

Dale Simmons and Steve Sturtz showing the marble named for Dale.

stevepletcher.jpg

Steve Pletcher (Duffy) Steve is also a Tribute

sturtz2Cfarrar2Cgrocki.jpg

Steve Sturtz, Elizabeth Farrar Danny Grocki and a man I don't know

Danny Grocki is a Tribute.

sturtzandfarrar.jpg

Steve Sturtz and Elizabeth Farrar selling Steve's latest JABO book

sturtzandfarrar.jpg

sturtzandflanagan.jpg

Sturtz and Patty Flanagan Steve is holding the awards that we gave out later in the show

unknown1.jpg

this man had the largest Charles Gibson snakeskin I've ever seen. I'm sorry I don't know his name.

unknown3.jpg

Another dealer i don't know. Duffy and Paula think this guys name may be Dave McMahan.

weldoneaton.jpg

My favorite dealer at the show He's from Texas

During the show the Tribute group presented some awards. I have no pictures of the people receiving them because i was busy helping to pass them out. In hind sight, I wish someone else had passed them out so I could have capture the appreciative looks on the faces of the honorees.

We gave out recognition awards and a marble to each person with a marble named for them that attended the show.

wvmcccertificate.jpg

Persons who received their named marble and certificate were asked to post a pic of their certificate and marble on this post. I've waited a long time to post so don't know if anyone will.

I approached Steve Sturtz about doing a special box of named marbles for people who had been a great help to our group. he liked the idea. David McCullough gave us the wooden collector boxes to contain the marbles and I adapted the boxes to hold a lot of marbles. A week before the show, the project became bigger than I had planned. Steve added to my list of people. I had to make more boxes -paper ones and they held a lot more marbles. We talked about Steve and myself giving the marbles to fill the boxes and that's what happened. However, we had a mixup about who was bringing what and had to ask duffy for a marble or two and some of our Tribute friends helped with another marble that had turned out to be quite rare. In fact, the HOD marble is so rare that Howard didn't have enough to give his family and friends one of his special marbles. I had Howard pick a second marble to be named Hod and I dubbed it "Hod too"

woodenboxtop.jpg

This is the box that Dave McCullough let us use.

woodenboxinsidelid.jpg

Inside the lid of the box is a collage of many of our Tribute members and an explanation of the reason for the gift.

specialwoodenbox.jpg

The marbles in the box Each marble in this box is named for someone. The last marble is "Dale". Dale was holding his marble in an earlier pic. The two large yellow marbles are fillers. Everyone got some filler marbles to be replaced by a named marble as that event occurs. On the last row, the fifth marble over - that's Patry's Palette. it's very hard to find, very rare. I hope the folks who got a filler in that spot can find one for their box.

These boxes were presented to Dale Simmons, Ronnie Ewers, Richard McKnight, Sammy Hogue, Elizabeth Farrar, and Gary Langley.

specialnamedmarbleslid.jpg

this is the larger special named marble box lid

specialnamedmarblesinsidelid.jpg

Inside lid

specialnamedmarbles.jpg

The marbles inside the paper special named marbles box. The last two rows are fillers except for the first two marbles on the next to last row.

These boxes were presented to Howard and Julia Powell, Steve Pletcher, David McCullough, Bruce Burkhart, Bill McCaleb, Ron Shepherd, Ruby and Frank Sellers, David Allen Griffie, Bob Byard, Steve Sturtz, and Edna and Weldon Eaton.

Thanks for looking. Edna

.. couple more ...

post-75-1243718539_thumb.jpg

post-75-1243718555_thumb.jpg