Vitro Opals

Steph

What is the range of variation of Vitro Opals?

Some months back I heard something which led me to believe that I'd been defining them too rigidly. For instance, I thought they had to have multi-color patches but then I heard that might not necessarily be so. That "originally" it might have been more about the base of the marble and not so much about the ribbons. Looking for confirmation or correction.

If you have an opal to show off or have some info to share, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Here's an example from Joemarbles.com to get things started. (edit: a couple of examples)

Ex. 1, Ex. 2

th_Vitro-Agate605a.jpgth_Vitro-Agate605b.jpgth_Vitro-Agate605c.jpg

th_Vitro-Agate607a.jpgth_Vitro-Agate607b.jpgth_Vitro-Agate607c.jpg

(I guess I shoulda looked over there more before I asked the question, lol. I'll go do that now, but still would like to hear from others. :-)

Here are two pics of a 9/16" helmet. I'm having trouble getting pics in forcus and these two are the only two of 8 that cem out. The base glass is opalescent, with blue color when the light shines directly into it and orange-ish glints in the deepest part.

post-2519-126740292308_thumb.jpg post-2519-126740293808_thumb.jpg

lol. glad I could help, Dani. :-)

Delbert, I would love to see the patch(es) head on for that one! I wonder if it is actually an opal, and not really a helmet. I'm not sure when opals were made. But I THINK later than helmets. (Helmets are from the 1930's.) (edit: and maybe a little bit of the 1940's.)

Even if they're later, opals are more interesting (to me), mostly coz I don't have as many. :-)

lol. glad I could help, Dani. :-)

Delbert, I would love to see the patch(es) head on for that one! I wonder if it is actually an opal, and not really a helmet. I'm not sure when opals were made. But I THINK later than helmets. (Helmets are from the 1930's, iiuc.)

Even if they're later, opals are more interesting (to me), mostly coz I don't have as many. :-)

Only those two of the pics came out, but the helmet configuration is there. The center striping runs front to back along the top as I read Vitro helmet lines ran( when there is a line). That pic of the front, or face opening of the helmet shows the base glass and it's pretty obviously opalescent glass. Of course, this marble may not be a Vitro at all, but the base glass is opal. That's all I can say for sure. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get pics that show the patch area so you can see the helmet shape.

Hello everyone, Here are a few more Opals. A two color with no yellow (one of my favorite Opals even thought its not that fancy) a two color with yellow and a three color with no yellow. They seem to be pretty distinct when you see them, the opalescents even shows up pretty well in photographs I think. Thanks, Joe.

Opals.jpg

The opals first require a opal base and multicolor patches. Multicolor patches can be two colors,three colors or 4-5 if you can find them. I have never heard that one color had to be yellow. As the pictures show,there are several that do not have yellow. Some other named Vitro marbles do require one color to be yellow,superiors,buttermilk,etc.

Ron, I've been hearing that some one color ones maybe could technically be counted as Opals because they seem to be from the same glass in the same time frame. But being only one color they wouldn't be that desireable to most - not worth mortgaging the dog. (hehe, sorry dog lovers ;-)

Mostly I'm interested for academic reasons. Wouldn't want to be responsible for making people hopeful that their single color patch marbles are suddenly opals. Or for a sudden ebay craze where phantom conquerors get called opals. lol.

I understand that it is a private collector's name which caught on fast, and relatively recently. It's really hard to talk about a private collector's name for marbles as if my opinion matters. That's so presumptuous. It's THEIR name. But I'm me and I still have a lot of ideas. Can't help it. ;-)

Things I wonder: were they made Pre-WWII, using nice pre-war glass? Or were they made Post-WWII, when wartime rationing was over and Vitro felt they could once again afford to use good glass. Structurally, I can see similarities with different eras of Vitros. These seem like serious fence sitter marbles.

That's just a taste of what I'm wondering about. I'll save you guys the rest of my mental meandering but I reserve the right to continue this topic later! LOL.

This has been some pretty good info so far. Thanks for the pix everyone! -s