Alox Questions

Did the Alox company make another marbles other than the swirl type with white glass inside either blue, green, brown or whitish transparent colors?

If so, what were the colors?

Were these marbles called slags or is a slag a different marble made by a different company?

Thanks for your help.

Rich,

No slags in the Alox family I am aware of. They made solid chinese checker marbles, Opaque Swirls, translucent and transparent swirls and clearies. Some of their marbles even have striping or a brushed-like patch. I most all of these types except the Chinese Checker marbles. Too many marble when you visited last month. Not a chance to get to the Alox marbles. David

Rich, I see that you've posted a refinement of your question. So my post already in progress doesn't appear to be relevant. However, someone might find it interesting so I'll go ahead and hit submit.

There are patches in this bag of Nancy's.

NancyFrier_alox049_mesh_bag_has_pat.jpg

Mr. Bales once posted individual shots of the marbles in this box:

(click to enlarge)

th_AloxSampleBox02_MrBales.jpg th_AloxSampleBox03_MrBales.jpg

Some examples:

NEW20001.jpgNEW20004.jpgNEW20012.jpgNEW20015.jpgNEW20021.jpgNEW20017.jpg

What's confusing is the pictures of Alox marbles at the Joe's marbles site. There is 1 page of them and they (in my eyes) look like slags. Can you guys help me understand the difference with those pictures of the marbles and the slags I own? Thanks for your help.

Since I hijacked your thread with the patches, I will try to get it back. Your question appears to be about the difference between Slags and Transparent Swirls. I don't trust my ability to explain it in words. However, here are some photos which might facilitate the discussion.

Here's an example of a slag from Joe's MFC section and a transparent swirl from his Alox section.

15CDB0030.jpgAlox2020203824201.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison of Slags versus Transparent Swirls which Dani posted in a thread Felicia started on the subject.

Dani_mc14154_mc7219.jpg

Clueless About Slags

I also find it difficult to explain, but if I understand correctly slag glass is white mixed into another color prior to the form it is to be is made, it can be over or under mixed by the artisan, where a swirl was to colors injected together. Did I get that right? Or do I need to wear the bag....=}

Rich, I have one of those Alox boxes as well. Here is a photo of the marbles that came with it. I am pretty sure it is original as it has all the original paperwork and the shipping box it was sent in. Not a very good photo, but you can get some idea of the marbles that they made. I have included a shot of the price list that came with the box.

post-2067-128404541438_thumb.jpgpost-2067-128404552511_thumb.jpg

Actually I have found the transparent glass in slags to be clearer than what is usually found in swirls, I really don't think there is much besides experience that helps one determine whether a marble is a slag or a transparent swirl.

What he said, mainly experience -- but I've found that the white in the swirls usually looks more like a thick-ish ribbon, in contrast with the much more variable white (thick, thin, stringy, filmy) in slags.

Steph, I showed the box to Ron S at the WVMC show in 2009 and he said that a lot of the marbles looked like Alley to him. I can only say that I bought the box from Ray Collison and it is the same box shown in American Machine Made Marbles. Other than that I have no other knowledge of the marbles. Here are some photos of those marbles. Maybe Nancy Frier could shed some light on this if she sees this post.

post-2067-128406109408_thumb.jpg post-2067-12840611404_thumb.jpg post-2067-12840611971_thumb.jpg

I have a counterfeit bag of Alox... I'll see if I can locate it and get some pic's... Does anyone else have a counterfeit bag that they know of???

Here are the pic's...

post-2351-128406368191_thumb.jpg

There are 2 more photos, I'll try to post them in another reply whithout resizing... Says there to big to upload, but they are all the same size...

Nancy Frier had this bag in hand when we were in Decatur this spring... She pointed out the difference in a true bag and the counterfeit bag, but we didn't have a true bag to compare it to... But in fact, according to Nancy, my bag is counterfeit. She didn't say anything about the marbles though... Do they look like Alox, or do I have to open the bag and take some pic's...

I'm thinkin your marbles are Jabos. The ones in my Army, Navy, Air Force bags are modern marble kings.

I didn't think there were any real ones to compare these to. I was under the impression that Alox never did the Army, Navy, Air Force bags at all.

(am open to correction if I have that wrong - thanks)

I'm thinkin your marbles are Jabos. The ones in my Army, Navy, Air Force bags are modern marble kings.

I didn't think there were any real ones to compare these to. I was under the impression that Alox never did the Army, Navy, Air Force bags at all.

(am open to correction if I have that wrong - thanks)

Hey Steph,

Not to sure about that?????????? She was saying something to the affect that the real bags had no periods possibly between the USA on the header. But I got the impression the bags were almost alike... Hey Nancy... We need some help here... blink.gif

Rich, you should also know that Alox did at one time purchase marbles from other manufacturers to backfill some of their bags and boxes. They didn't begin production until a few years after they started selling marbles. They decided that it would be more cost effective to make them in house versus buying them from other companies. As of right now I don't believe any of the original purchase orders have been located, but I am sure they are out there. Alox made some pretty marbles, but stuck to mostly transparent swirls and some larger sparkler types.