Aventurine Mibs!

See what I made using the 3 colors of aventurine?

My friend and I made the frit from chunks of aventurine.

Fenton cullet and Moretti glass was the base.

I'll probably get barred for this but here goes...

Give yourself a pat on your back for mutilating marbles... I hope you have initialed them... Once they leave your possession, who knows what they are??? Personally I'm getting tired of "Oh look what I did"...

Not meant to hurt your feelings, just to open your eyes...

Huh? I am uncertain what you mean? I take cullet I bought from Fenton, break it up into shards and small chunks then round them out into marbles, sometimes adding other Fenton colors. I surface added frit I made from gold aventurine I bought at Quartzite Arizona.

Anyway,

1) Saying that I mutilate marbles shows your lack of understanding the process of my marble making which I certainly can help you with - come over and let's make marbles. I posted some of the materials I use to make marbles in another thread.

2) Why do I need to initial them as I surely don't want to mar my little glass orbs.

3) You always have the right to NOT open any links started by me but it's your choice to open it and say what you'd like. I respect others and their opinions even when they don't agree with mine. I am not trying to be rude here but opening a thread is a choice one makes.

4) This section is called, "General Marble and Glass Chat" and that's exactly what I posted.

5) My feelings are not hurt nor are my eyes closed. It seems that some members have specific needs, wants and wishes which I seem not to be able to meet. Oh well, it takes many types to make our world go round. <--- get the pun, round...lol

6) I will not stop posting my joy of making marbles and honestly, I hope you take heart, change your mind and enjoy the journey of marble making results that I post here. As someone once said, it's the journey tat is the destination.

7) Under the Name of the Site it says, "A place for collectors of all types of marbles!" so my posts are very appropriate here.

(Mods - this is NOT a squabble so no need to move the thread any other place but here.)

pix of marble #5

Like them or what do you suggest?

Rich

you did ask for opinions. That being said I am not a real fan of them either. To me they are just a mass of colors spread out on the surface with no pattern or balance. Not your best work.

I believe Kingfisher made the mistake of thinking you made these from marbles. (At least I hope so) And his response would have been better in another thread. If not, maybe an I do not, would have sufficed. And Rich, I hope you understand a large percentage of collectors take huge offense at your marble cullet marbles.

Thanks Galen - Here's my thoughts:

Trouble is, I am proud to experiment and I appreciate creative criticism like gdp1 gave me - I respect that a lot!

This was the first time I tried making aventurine frit and applying it to marbles and I wanted opinions from the group.

I thought the subtitle, "A place for collectors of all types of marbles!" also included people that collected contemporary made marbles and showing a few that were made from a person would be fun and educational to the group.

You can't go back to 1925 and talk to the machine marble makers and talk to them directly and ask questions about the glass, COE, structure, etc. nor can you see pictures of their current work as the factories are gone and it's not 1925 anymore.

I assume that the people that don't like my cullet work will stop looking at my cullet threads so they won't be so upset as that isn't my purpose in posting them.

I'll keep on posting my cullet work AND asking those who are interested for their opinions as I am always looking to improve my work and I appreciate creative opinions.

There are plenty of members that look forward to seeing my cullet work and send me emails saying so by the way so I'm not convinced there really is a large percentage of collectors that are offended and, as I said, they need to stop looking at the cullet threads if it does affect their emotions is such a negative way.

Good points, but you will not hear from 99% of the folks that take offense to them. Mainly seasoned collecters are the ones and they rarely if ever post any more. Folks rarely post when they despise something. I have to believe most of the fans of the marble cullet mibs are new collectors. I had you make them for me so I can use them as an educational feature to show folks what fake marbles look like. Like it or not many of the ones you have made will find their way into the world of buy and sell. And even with that I think you should make what you want. And please never scratch anything onto them. Maybe a Titanium pen sig. but that is enough. (And I am only speaking of marble cullet)

I AM A SEASONED COLLECTOR. And I like them. I've seen them here and I've seen them at shows. They are pretty marbles - not expensive, is that what people dislike and why you detractors think only "unseasoned"

collectors will comment? I'm not a marble snob, is that why I like them and think he has the right to post them here and ask for comments? Please don't attack me or Rich for what I've said. We listen and read your comments politely. Listen and read ours the same way.

well .. when i knocked the dirt off these .. i sure wanted to see them in the round. and leroy did just that. and fine examples of his abilities. i would like more. and because of punks and greed .. some type of mark is ok with me. trickery is everwhere, as was at a recent show. a beaut of an akro blue oxblood. .. har .. fully " torched" and hawked a original and vintage. gotta educate urself as much as you can, and hopefully, a heads-up from knowledgable people around you. .... bill

post-75-129963987593_thumb.jpg

post-75-129963990115_thumb.jpg

Rich, you asked for opinions and I gave you nine... This thread starts with Aventurine Mib's, and says nothing about cullets in the title, thats why I went into the thread... What you do with your mibs is your business... I just don't care for it...

Rich, I love your enthusiasm & always enjoy seeing your creations.

Contemps are not my thing but there is room for all.

Perhaps some vintage collectors were put off when you torched CAC cullet.

I do not believe your intent was to deceive anyone.

Any "seasoned" collector could tell the difference if needed.

You are not the first to experiment in this matter & probably won't be the last.

All artists have both fans & critics.

I say Post & Marble On!!

:music-rocker-001:

Thanks Bill for your comments and posting the pictures of those cullet marbles. I think they are beautiful and anybody that doesn't think so, please post some marbles that you think are. It has taken all kinds and types of people to make up this old society, some like this and some like that and some people don't like anything. Some see the beauty in recovered glass and others think it should be left underground forever. You know, recovered glass such as diamonds, Rubies or cullet glass and etc. They don't think old items should be restored such as, auto's, paintings, furniture or old beat up marbles. I think it's nice that we don't all like the same things as it would be a very dull world it we did, I think. ----Leroy---- P.S. I have been connected to marbles since I was very young and was playing marbles at recess when I was in the first grade in 1942. By the way, no flame or heat was used on Bill's cullet. The cullet was slabbed and cut into an eight sided cube. Than I took the corners off with my diamond wheel and than on to the reconditioning machines.

Thanks Bill for your comments and posting the pictures of those cullet marbles. I think they are beautiful and anybody that doesn't think so, please post some marbles that you think are. It has taken all kinds and types of people to make up this old society, some like this and some like that and some people don't like anything. Some see the beauty in recovered glass and others think it should be left underground forever. You know, recovered glass such as diamonds, Rubies or cullet glass and etc. They don't think old items should be restored such as, auto's, paintings, furniture or old beat up marbles. I think it's nice that we don't all like the same things as it would be a very dull world it we did, I think. ----Leroy---- P.S. I have been connected to marbles since I was very young and was playing marbles at recess when I was in the first grade in 1942.

Quite well put Leroy... Thank-You...

Hi everyone, I am back from a 3 day short vacation seeing my son for his Birthday.

Thank you all for your posts. I appreciate all the differing opinions and comments.

I don't believe we all should eat the same flavor of ice cream as that would be so boring. Same with these wonderful glass orbs we collect.

Some of us at this group collect vintage machine made marbles, vintage handmade marbles, contemporary marbles, glass cullet marbles and several combinations from these groups. I believe it is ALL good! I may not collect German Swirls myself, but that doesn't stop me from looking at a post that someone that does collect German Swirls puts up here at the site.

If I ask for your opinion when I post my marble pictures, I hope that I receive constructive comments. For example: "I really didn't like that marble because it looks muddy and I don't care for that look." or, "I like that marble because it reminds me of a nebula." or "These marbles are not your best you've posted because they don't have the 'pop' the ones you usually show us."

I am very honored that the 24 vintage marble collectors that have sent me cullet like my work. Because I have lost the ability for fine motor skills, I can't mark my marbles. It leaves big slash marks that are at least 1/4" large. I have tried marking 5/8" marbles for a period of 2 1/2 months and the results, no matter how hard I try, are about the same. My ti pen ($20) doesn't work for me at my age.

It seems to me that many people don't post here anymore for other reasons I am not aware of and to think it is all my fault is something I will not accept as the real reason people don't post. I don't have the history of why they don't post anymore, but others have that knowledge - I am too new in collecting to know what went on before I happily joined our little family here. I am VERY happy to see, even though it was moved to a squabble zone, that my PARTICIPATION thread has 4111 views and it still is very active with members having fun! So, to me, this is proof it is not my fault members don't post.

Anyway, thanks again for all the posts you guys have made and keep up the good work!

Rich I was not insinuating that you had anything at all to do with folks not posting. I said most folks do not post that have negative fealings toward any marbles posted, yours or anyones. The reason for this is any negative posts whether done politely or not are often taken wrong by many folks and they are then hammered by other folks on the board. Most do not have the want to keep posting when their opinions are hammered by fellow members. Some folks seam to think only nice warm posts should ever be allowed on the site. And some of us have refused to go away. Not many left thats for sure. I noticed the term haters was even used in this thread. (thats too bad)