Confetti Cloud ?

Hi

I picked up this marble lately. From the photos the seller sent to me I was pretty sure it was an onionskin. But when I had it in my hands, I started to doubt. Onionskins are usually fully covered, but this one has just spots. Also the pontils look different, it is more a small pit than a rough spot. I discussed with Jeroen from the Netherlands and he thinks it is a confetti cloud. It would be interesting to hear some other oppinions. The size is 1 1/2 inches.

Thank you very much for your help.

Ron

post-2885-130001144045_thumb.jpg

post-2885-130001144643_thumb.jpg

post-2885-130001145357_thumb.jpg

post-2885-130001146388_thumb.jpg

Hi, nice marble. The term "onionskin" as it applies to handmades is pretty broad since there are so many types under that category. "confetti cloud" is more of a sub-category and some might dispute by saying true clouds only have one pontil (ie: end of cane), but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Most onionskins have a opaque white or yellow base, this one is clear with unusual colors if that is really a lavender or purple. You don't see the clear base ones as often but they are out there. hope that helps

Might be from China?? as I have a painted bird sulfide sitting on that kind of base , yours is the best and it is the complete marble like my base is ?? I was told that mine might be from china in the 20's ??? and yes I almost wish I would have gotten it before polishing . Mike

post-94-130006165254_thumb.jpg

post-94-130006165964_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your answers

Yes, China was also Jeroen's guess. I didn't know they made marbles there during that time. And yes, the pontil definately looks different.

The marble has pink and some purple spots in it among other colors.

Ron

Interesting, I would not have guessed Chinese based on the size and what I see in the pics. Although there are some similarities to the colors of single pontil "confetti" marbles that are rumored to have come from China. Maybe I'd have to see more 2-pontil Chinese marbles to compare it to.

One of the pontils looks a bit odd, could be an "inny" rather than an "outty" but not unheard of. Is there any grinding or faceting? (might not have been necessary if it didn't stick out)

Really cool marble and discussion, but to me it really looks like it could have come out of Germany, just like some of the other hand mades that were produced there. Definitely unusual colors and construction but I don't see anything that would rule Germany out. My opinion and if I'm wrong well maybe I'll learn something new:)

I guess China too because of the clear not being yellowish and the frit on the exterior seems too colorful as if it were not old.

Not old? Approximately how new do you have in mind?

I would have guessed relatively old even if it did turn out to be from China.

It is definately "old". The seller inherited the marble from his grandmother, together with some other old (but not handmade) marbles. So it has to be made before World War II for sure. The pontil is indeed different, as one of you mentioned it is an "inny" (like a small pit).

Thanks for your interesting thoughts, I really like these discussions here.

Ron

It is definately "old". The seller inherited the marble from his grandmother, together with some other old (but not handmade) marbles. So it has to be made before World War II for sure. The pontil is indeed different, as one of you mentioned it is an "inny" (like a small pit).

Thanks for your interesting thoughts, I really like these discussions here.

Ron

And what about the value, can you compare that with a German one?

Cees.

Nice marble Terry! I see what you mean about the colors and agree that it's a 'confetti-style' construction. There's something about the original post that looks a bit 'off' from that, and I'm just not quite convinced it's anything but a style made in Germany, from a cane, with two pontils...

No more discussions on this style of marble?? Killer marble, diverse experience (ie: multi-continent), lots of people that have been collecting a long long time... if I weren't so interested in the subject matter I wouldn't be poking this thread with a cattle prod in an attempt to learn more. lol. I saw the other "confetti cloud" thread and got my hopes up. yeah well here's a prod. (Sorry Mike)

I noticed it appeared the fading of the boxes continued under the labels. Pretty good giveaway for added labels. Lots of marble collectors do get blinded with the chance of buying a great looking rare marble. I am amazed at the number of torched marbles that are appearing at shows. Usually in someones keeper box. very obvious if you know(and want to know)what to look for. This marble does look more German than Asian to me.