What Are These?

Found these square formed (marbles?)glass objects together with round marbles of the same glass,in an old marble batch from about the 50s-60s.

What do you think they are used for, a sort of game,or made accidetally,a mistake?

winnie

4-sidesMedium.jpg

When I found mine, only 3, (in different vintage lots), thought accidental but as you have found a few in one lot that doesn't seem so likely. Could they have been made for playing jacks or stones? Not sure if the game has the some name worldwide but you start by putting one on the back of your hand then throw it up, pick another up from the floor and catch the other with it in your palm, then continue until you fail to make the catch. Blocks of colored plaster or similar have been sold in UK at least since the 1970's for this game, packaged with marbles (not commonly though). Maybe the older versions were made of glass?

post-1776-13092941472_thumb.jpg

Jacks game that was my first thought aswell,we call it bikkelen,it's a very old game,i've nowhere read that square objects have been used,but who knows I didn't read everything.

Plan B,it's not a bad guess at all,square could that happen?

This is the batch they were found in.

Washed and cleaned LOL.

winnie

DSC03655Small.jpg

Im going to take a flying leap...

Sombody thought of a way to make their own marbles from panes of glass. No messy molten glass. Score glass into strips and break it into cubes, then throw the cubes into a tumbler for a week. You would get something exactly like this. Not sure why they would think it was a good idea, but it would be an interesting experiment.

If you remember those Shipwrecked german swirls that were recovered

and sold. They also had that texture. If a marble is free to roll around,

it may retain its roundness, but if wedged between something the wear may

be uneven and produce odd shapes. I don't know what would make it square, though.

They're real square,the 6 sides are the same,and than there are round marbles with the same kind of glass in the batch.

I'm increasingly beginning to think that they're made this way for a sort of game.

winnie

Jacks game that was my first thought aswell,we call it bikkelen,it's a very old game,i've nowhere read that square objects have been used

I had some similar to these in the late 1970's, ebay item 180692306319 (sorry don't know how to do a proper link). Also had some more beautiful ones, must have disposed of them all at some time, can't find them now.