Just Curious

kaliman

Aloha Guys, first off Im from Hawaii and this is my first post in my 3 yrs. of collecting. I am rather new but collect voraciously, primarily pelts. I guess you can say I'm a pelt head :) I purchase primarily on the bay as I feel that where I live resources are rather limited. In fact i have probably purchased from a few of you over the past couple of years. I have learned so much from all of you and pour over a lot of Stephs Study Hall stickies:) I thoroughly enjoy the posts and the amount of knowledge coming from the users as a collective. Much to my wife's dismay I am gonna be involved in this magical world for awhile lol and hope I too can give back and offer some wisdom someday on this board as my knowledge grows.

I adore pelts and collect NLR's, PPP's, Realers, MCS and the crazy mad uncommon 'bo that comes along every once in awhile. So here's my question. An auction ended for a classic MCS minty from a seller on the bay and it's closing price intrigued me. It wasn't especially swirly, i wouldn't say the color was rare (maybe a little HTF) and the size was pretty standard. Even for a mint specimen I can't for the life of me see why it closed so high. Absolutely beautiful mib but am I missing something? Please no offense to the seller or buyer i am just curious. Are we seeing a rise in valuation of pelt MCS?

Mahalos,

Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/...c#ht_500wt_1413

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it just depends on who is bidding. Just two bidders can take the price way up it seems.

And I know once in a while I just get carried away in the sport of it...I want to win, dammit! That sport!

And end up paying a lot more than I maybe should have...:(

Marlene i too have been guilty of paying double what i normally would on a good day for a mib that "speaks" to me lol. Thats the wonderful thing about marbles, they are all "one off" as no two are exactly alike...."And they're mine!!! all mine!!"..... :evil-grin-smileys-111: "....Phew i almost slipped again and bought a minty GR :D

I know, they are soooo tempting! And I think a little gambling fever gets in on it, too.

I have a friend who is vacationing in Hawaii right now. It's her sixth week there out of seven. She's been there thirteen times! She just loves it!!! She's on Maui right now and she'll be there until her vacation is over. Just talked to her on the phone and she's enjoying every minute of it.

Back to the subject though, I just won a lot of 20 Peltiers for $20. Mixed lot. NM to Mint condition. I think I like the Sunsets the best...or the ruby slippers...or the clowns...or... See how it goes! I'm not as advanced a collector as you, but I'm working on it!

Hi Tony, WELCOME to the board and you will find some very interesting feedback on the boards and you will deffinitly learn a lot about the "Peltiers" for sure. The photos are great but sometimes its hard to tell on some of the marbles posted. I have been doing this hobby for 38 years now and the hobby keeps going forward and always picking up new collectors all the time and where else can you continue to learn outsdie of the books. If there are any marble shows close to you, thats another aspect to think about and learn even more information. I can honestly say that i learn quite a few things at the shows every time i do one here or travel to one thats happening. I like the pelts also myself and i tell you that its a real job trying to get a variety of them togather. WELCOME Chuck G--

Just got back from a trip abroad and was welcomed back to this thread by a few who had decided to chime in. Marlene thanks for the heads up! I actually was watching that pelt superman hybrid and was impressed by the price it brought. I actually picked one up right before this one that could have easily of come from the same run! Such beautiful colors! And congrats on that lot! I know the very one with sunsets and the ruby slipper. I recently picked up a few auctions from the same seller who not so surprisingly is an active member of this BB. Thanks for the welcome Chuck G! I guess thats why pelts in particular compel me, as much as the "collectors" like to nickname and categorize them, there is always something new from the wild that surfaces to intrigue and bewilder even the most seasoned mibologists.

On a more somber note my heart aches at the news of our beloved marble fellows passing and the many friends and family who loved and cherished him. I have only had the opportunity of correspondence with him via email over the years at first from his auctions then from time to time with questions about marbles. Alan was a very generous man with his time and had a fantastic and whimsical personality. I will truly miss talking with him and waking up to find his latest offerings play across my screen whenever they would come available and covet them like a child with glee. I truly feel a sense of emptiness where he once stood in this wondrous and nostalgic past time of ours. Alan rest in peace my friend. Aloha, Tony