What Are You Listening To Now?

Steph

Might be in America and big cities all over the world. Here in Germany the rural regions are not linked by broadband. And if so, the backbone is not able to carry the traffic. It is really unfortunate but sometimes my old MODEM is faster.

Now connection just works better. Even with lower performance on the WLAN than this morning. 'All the dolphins in hurricane' sounds nice even if I do not understand a single word.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:) ... the tune is so happy even and of course I don't understand any of the words. After only hearing it a few times I hum along with it ... I almost feel as if I could learn the words soon.

And it is interesting to learn about how the internet works in other parts of the world.

Yes I agree, it has such a happy sound.

The technique is the same (nearly). The problem is the provider and the infrastructure. But I think this also the same as all over the world. The less customers are there the later they get connected to broadband (high speed) communications if ever.

Really funny: when I am connection to www.ti.com I got immediate reply (less than 50ms ping time). But when trying to access some german sites (as like www.web.de) I end up with several seconds of reponse or connection timeout. Changing the provider is not a solution. In the end (backbone) they all use the same installation from the same infrastructure provider. Maybe I should visit more american sites. Near Ramstein the connectivity might get optimized this way, perhaps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is from the last 'television special' done by The Carpenters.

Sorry I can't post video/audio here!

Maybe this is on-line somewhere. I haven't looked.

This is one of those moments which is pretty hard to beat.

If you're not familiar with these women, all I can tell you is

that their singing-voices aren't too shabby. :)

kella_zpsefsdcszj.jpg

Music, Music, Music! Yep, that's the show this stuff is from.

Apparently Richard Carpenter thinks it was the best television show they ever did.

The title gives a clue as to 'why'. It was pretty much all music.

Which is to say that there wasn't any 'schtick' involved.

(Another terrific Germanic word that Hoody will appreciate!)

It was almost inconceivable that this schtick-free program was allowed to air.

It wasn't the sort of thing that networks thought would 'sell' at the time.

Glad that it somehow got put on!

For those who aren't from the right locations to be familiar with the word 'schtick',

in this case it refers to the situation where a performance is stupidly 'over-done'

in order to fit pre-conceived 'rules'. Kind of like when the networks decided that

The Brady Bunch could make a successful show performing as a 'singing group'!

Oh geesh. I think I'm going to wretch. ( :

schtick :dunno: Well, it seems I am also not from the right locations.

Having a look into our german "bible of words" the Duden there is no match. My favorite dict.leo.org at least has a similar spelling 'shtick' claiming it for a yiddish origin: http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=schtik&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

I am not sure if I get it right in the meaning of fad or scam? Trying to follow the chain of meanings from the german Masche (ugs.) back to possible other translations: http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=Masche&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

Schtick => shtik => Nummer = number / count leads me to a total wrong understanding when referring to dict.leo.org.

But what https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtick tells me seems to be the real meaning of kbobams 'schtick' here.

Just plain music without interruptions by annyoing advertisings, comedy, talking and so on. Right?

Galen's use of the word involving Groucho is probably the most common approach and the best 'definition'.

Your 'schtick' is your 'thing'. What you do. Especially if it's slightly unusual, somewhat exaggerated, and intentional.

It was okay the way I said it, in the sense that 'network schtick' is the same stupid stuff you see on TV over and over

again even though it's painfully bad, but 'kitsch' would have been a better word to mean 'gaudy', 'overdone', and 'corny'. ( :

Well son of a so and so!
This falls into the 'learn something new' category for me.
I've been very resistant to new music ever since the '90's,
when I became convinced that it had all gone to heck.
Even earlier than that I knew that I hated music videos
since the day they were introduced. Still do, mostly.

But the Cranberries' song was really nice, and I 'didn't mind'
(that's as far as I'm willing to go admission-wise!) the video either!
Good stuff! ( :