First Show Advice!

Hello,

I'm a total newbie here and am excited to have joined! I look forward to learning alot. Everyone is so kind in this hobby!

I have a question about the marble shows. I am planning on attending my first one either in Marietta or the August one in Canton Ohio. Having never been to one, can anyone help me out with a general understanding of what goes on?

I noticed most say there is "in room trading" that happens before the show. What is this? And when the show is open to the public, any obvious ettiquette one should observe that a newbie may not know about? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Looking forward to the show. It seems to me marble collecting is very tactile. Can't wait to see great marbles in person :cool-smileys-262:

flyball

I hear the in room trading is a lot of folks' favorite part. It's what it sounds like. People get to the show early. Sometimes two days before the official show starts. They visit in each others' rooms and check out the marbles. Buying and selling can go on then. Be sure to bring a flashlight in case the lamps aren't bright enough.

The in room trading or buying and selling usually starts thursday and fridays before the saturday show day. The evening hours can be the best. Friday nights used to be the best but the last couple years,thursday night has become the busy night. I think most people found out that if they waited until friday and went back after a certian item,that it was usually sold and gone. Lots of people prefer the two days in room dealing,over the actual show day. It gives you more time to learn about different marbles and spend time getting to know other collectors. Plus you have more time to look at marbles and make your picks or deals. The hotel at Marietta OH may be full of all the rooms blocked for the WVMCC spring show? Do not wait to make a reservation if it is yet possible. There is also a Holiday Inn just across the street from the Comfort Inn at Marietta OH. We had several first time show people last spring,they all told me that they were coming back. We had over two complete floors booked last year. We blocked more rooms this year,but maybe not enough yet ? This years WVMCC show is dedicated to Marble KIng and their long history with marbles. Hopefully Beri Fox owner of Marble King will make a special visit to the show. Contact me or check the WVMCC show flyer for any information needed.

wvrons

Most shows are large and the location, quantity, price and quality of merchandise gets confusing. I take a pocket notebook with me when I room hop - taking notes on which room numbers had what. This saves me lots of time avoiding rooms that I have previously visited and allows me to quickly find sellers and marbles that I want to revisit.

Big Indian

The WV show is a good one for a first. People come from Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio. Everybody is helpful, lots of experts. We all like to have a good time and that doesn't meant getting drunk and raising hell. We're all just lovers of marbles and we enjoy each other's company.

What Steph said about taking a little flashlight. An inexpensive little maglight is good. When you look at marbles with one, you'll see unexpected things, and it really brings out the color. Who called it "shining marbles?" Someone who used to be on here's kid, I think, Anyhoo, it works.

I fly back to at least one of the Canton, Buckeye Club shows every year. Sometimes both. They are always great shows. And I have a wonderful time at all the West Coast Shows and Vegas. Never been to one of those marble shows where folks get drunk and raise hell. But we do tend to overeat at least one night in Seattle and Vegas. Thursday has definitely become the best in room trading night at most. And the Canton winter show is getting so popular Wednesday night is even decent. And a good flashlight is a must. I take 3 or 4 with me to every show.

Thanks sissydear,

You didn't scare me off. Actually I used to do the sport of flyball (friendly dogsport) where, yes at camping you could once in a while observe the" have drink -- will raise heck" situations. But the name flyball I thought fit for my new interest : I can often be found by my husband "flying" around the internet looking for pretty little glass "balls" .

Looking forward to meeting people and learning!

I'm not sure of your geographical location,

but in addition to all the great shows mentioned in the above posts,

there are two shows in Northeast Arkansas, one coming up in two weeks;

see the info under marble shows in this forum