Rare Fused Cane Marble.

Today with the post a rare marble arrived. It is a fused cane. One half is a latticinio, the other half is a single ribbon core marble.

If you look closely to the photos I made under water you can see that the inside of the single ribbon is different than the outer side.

Regards,

Jeroen

Is it not possible to edit the topic name? I ment cane instead of can of course.

post-2911-0-64455500-1401484218_thumb.jp

Edited by Steph
fixed title

As I understand your "Fused Cane" statement, it implies this marble shows characteristics of two different styles of marbles fused together into one marble.

Are not all German Hand-Made marbles made from groups of glass rods fused together?

Could this be a Latticino with just an off center core?

I'm just trying to understand.....???

I do not know much about this kind of marbles. I have not seen enough of this kind of marbles to say for sure what it is. Jeroen vV has more experience in this type of marbles. He had this marble in his hands, and was convinced it is a fused cane, and also that it is longitudinally fused marble. ( that was told to me by an other collector also) I showed it to Hansel also. He only told me that it is a rare marble. If it is something else than a fused cane, he would have told me.

Jeroen

A fused cane marble is where they fused the complete canes of 2 or 3 different marbles together lengthwise or on top of each other. They probably fused the last pieces of the canes together. Some of these marbles are very busy. The one I have have has 2 divided cores complete with outer bands fused together with a solid core with outer bands.

I showed it to Hansel also. He only told me that it is a rare marble. If it is something else than a fused cane, he would have told me.

Jeroen,

You misunderstood me.

I did not comment on your "fused cane" description, not because I agreed with you, but because I don't know what to call it.

I like MC Marble's description above, in comment #6. "a Latticino with just an off center core".

I think we're on the right track of it being constructed of two separate canes, given the complete lack of symmetry, the fact the colorful ribbon is facing inward (instead of outward) and the bubble/ghost part. If it were intended to be a latt marble the rest of the cane if properly executed would be spectacular.

MC Marbles asked: "Are not all German Hand-Made marbles made from groups of glass rods fused together?"

The answer is (mostly) yes, but the rods/patterns are usually a lot more concentric from layer to layer building outwards which is where the symmetry comes from once it's twisted

Which brings in the possibility it was close to the end of cane of spectacular marbles where the glass was folded over itself and made a weird pattern.

I might have a couple pics saved of fused marbles across the equator which are easier to make out what happened

Jeroen,

You misunderstood me.

I did not comment on your "fused cane" description, not because I agreed with you, but because I don't know what to call it.

I like MC Marble's description above, in comment #6. "a Latticino with just an off center core".

Hi Hansel, I've held the marble in my hands and it is certainly a fused cane marble. One cane is a white latt core with outer bands of white and red, the other cane a very colorful single ribbon with yellow and white outer bands.

Double Cane Marble

20140603 173838

This is what I believe to be two completely seperate marble canes fused together.To clarify there is one complete cane(latticino) and another "clear" cane There is a subtle "glass line" near the equator showing one half and the other are seperate. I find these marble types...if there is a "type" very much a curiosity!!!! This is the only one I have stashed up North!!!!!

Bernie

This is what I believe to be two completely seperate marble canes fused together.To clarify there is one complete cane(latticino) and another "clear" cane There is a subtle "glass line" near the equator showing one half and the other are seperate. I find these marble types...if there is a "type" very much a curiosity!!!! This is the only one I have stashed up North!!!!!

Bernie

Hi Bernie, I think that's an end of cane marble with the colored rods coming only half way of the marble.

Could have been a couple other factors but here's a marble that's different on either side of the pole from a pic I saved (not mine). There is a nice similar one I've seen with a blue shade on the opposite side of the ribbon

127500usd22mm_zps18d0d4d5.jpg

That's a dual tone single ribbon. Single ribbon swirls where made in a 'sandwiched' way, usually they added clear glass on both sides of the colored rods that lay flat next to each other. In this marble they put clear glass on one side and black glass on the other. I had one with clear on one side and blue on the other. Very rare marbles!

I found this fused cane swirl on an old Bob Block auction.

Here's the description

SWIRL, Divided core. Very rare end of cane double fused divided core swirl. This is actually two cane sections of the same marble fused together. Each is a three band divided core swirl. One each of pink and blue on white, pink and turquoise on "bumpy" yellow, pink and green on "bumpy" yellow. Outer layer is a cage of yellow and white strands. This is two separate cane ends that are fused next to each, so you actually have two sets of three bands which are each surrounded by the strands inside the marble. I have never seen this type of end of cane before. Extremely rare. Faceted pontil. Surface has one tiny melt spot at the top. Incredible. German, circa 1870-1920. 1-1/16". Mint (9.6).

And a pic

post-92-0-87455000-1401885486_thumb.jpg

JVV,

Given the "equater" line right at where the color ends(and the continuation of the pattern totally withing the clear matrix) I have to give a different opinion. What`s fun and confusing is we all have different interpretations...guesses...some educated and some off the hip. I have several "end of cane" marbles and I have always understood them to have the colored accent canes reaching the outside of the marble.....sorta reminicent of a "flower" opening up. I am by no means an expert and I don`t know everything.....if I did that would be boring and my love of the hobby would dwindle because there would be no more.."discoveries".

Cheers!!!!

Is this by definiton a "fused" cane marble? This was intentional or so it appears to me and some of the other I have seen...like the one I posted earlier in this thread,are after thoughts in my opinion. I will post a clear and green matrix base as well.
Bernie

Similar in terms of construction (basically speaking) where the canes are longitudinal (post 24) instead of latitudinal (post 15). I don't even know if those are words and Galen will probably say something about NHA but that's the best descriptive way I can think of. Glad you have more pics, I'd saved that pic from years ago