A Couple Of Nice Onionskins(One With Mica),starting 20 Nov Ebay

I was wondering the same thing.

Me too.

The blue blobbing on the first one and the equatorial break of colors on the second one are the main things I can't get past, though. Maybe somebody could explain? That would be helpful.

It's old. Nice marble.

Bob,

If this is truly an old onion skin the colors in it are different than most I have seen. Do you think these are perhaps a very early production? If so when would you guess they were made.

All my best ........ Danny

Bob,

If this is truly an old onion skin the colors in it are different than most I have seen. Do you think these are perhaps a very early production? If so when would you guess they were made.

All my best ........ Danny

I've only seen these odd colors come out of England, usually on Solitaire board sets. It's the same mfr as the other onion in that Ebay listing. They are definitely old. I don't know the name of the manufacturer. FWIW I have never seen a remelted marble come out of England.

I've only seen these odd colors come out of England, usually on Solitaire board sets. It's the same mfr as the other onion in that Ebay listing.

Timewise, if you associate these with English colors (and I can accept that, especially for the blue), then I believe they would be later rather than earlier in the scheme of onionskin things . . .

Timewise, if you associate these with English colors (and I can accept that, especially for the blue), then I believe they would be later rather than earlier in the scheme of onionskin things . . .

Correct. Opaque colors, other than white and yellow, appeared after 1900.

See this discussion:

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/19219-opaque-colors/

There have been venetian glass beads around long before 1900 that are very opaque with other colors , such as the beads known as French Ambassadors , Louis and Clarks, ext. , also if you look at the archaic glass there are a few different colors that show up. Then what about the Greniers early opaque colors?

I agree with you Ann. The popularity of solitaire boards in upper middle class English parlors was late Victorian to Edwardian. So, that would put it in the 1890-1910 period.

There have been venetian glass beads around long before 1900 that are very opaque with other colors , such as the beads known as French Ambassadors , Louis and Clarks, ext. , also if you look at the archaic glass there are a few different colors that show up. Then what about the Greniers early opaque colors?

Re the Venetian bead world, think different countries, different purposes. Glassmakers have always been secretive about their formulas, and none so more than the Venetians. Also, the beads you're talking about, "French Ambassador," "Lewis & Clark," etc. were mostly black-glass-based, best as I remember. Whoops, that pesky black glass again. And marble glass was somewhat different than bead glass, in that it quite literally was going to take hard, percussive hits from other glass and stone projectiles . . . bead glass didn't need to be quite so rugged. Which would have changed the basic formula somewhat. The Greiners used some opaque glass colors that I'm sure they developed themselves. But I don't think their formulas for opaque colors were known outside their small circle.