E.o.d

lstmmrbls

I never understood that naming convention.

Me either.

I've eliminated the term from my personal marble terminology. Except when referring to the occasional contemporary named an "end-of-day" by the marble artist. But I don't really like it even then.

How the marble maker felt at the end of a long day doesn't make a reasonable type-category to me. Just sayin.'

I thought the same thing about maker being tired at the end of the day!!! But I thought I read something about only one pontil on an end of the day? Something about only one cut mark cuz the end of the cane was reached? Or maybe I just imagined I read that!!

I thought I read something about only one pontil on an end of the day? Something about only one cut mark cuz the end of the cane was reached?

I get confused when thinking about (1) end-of-day and (2) end-of-cane. I usually have to stop and think about it for a minute. I think it's two cut marks for an end-of-cane marble -- one for where the next-to-last marble was sheared off of the cane, and one for where the last marble was sheared off of the punty, Sometimes resulting in those crazy partial ribbons & latticinios and whatnot as the internal (and surface) design elements ran out. And beginning-of-cane marbles would have one cut or shear mark. At least as I understand it.

I also think the end-of-day marbles machinemades is talking about -- marbles made with the leftover scrap glass at the end of the day -- could have either one or two or no cut marks visible, depending on technique . . . for me it's understandable only with contemporaries. Some contemporary artists -- Doug Ferguson comes to mind first -- have made a habit of making end-of-day marbles that are recognizably such, even to me, and I've liked some of them enough to buy them . . .

But I've never really visually understood the old Germans that have been labeled end-of-day. Or I've never seen or been shown any good examples.

:icon_popcorn::icon_popcorn::icon_popcorn:

Me either.

I've eliminated the term from my personal marble terminology. Except when referring to the occasional contemporary named an "end-of-day" by the marble artist. But I don't really like it even then.

How the marble maker felt at the end of a long day doesn't make a reasonable type-category to me. Just sayin.'

Throw the flag, throw the flag...penalty on Ann! I said "just saying" in an other post and galen made fun of me....and I said we could keep saying it and now Ann does it.....penalty....(in your best Jim Nabors voice) Citizen's Arrest, Citizen's Arrest, Citizen's Arrest! lol

I never, no how, made fun of no one........ Just saying. And I brought this up because Bob continues to promote and use a term that I have no idea what it means any more., Originally it was the big blotchy onion skins but they have other names now. And Bob uses it for almost every Onionskin he sells????

Throw the flag, throw the flag...penalty on Ann! I said "just saying" in an other post and galen made fun of me....and I said we could keep saying it and now Ann does it.....penalty....(in your best Jim Nabors voice) Citizen's Arrest, Citizen's Arrest, Citizen's Arrest! lol

OK, OK, I'm backin' up 15 yards . . .

I always thought it referred to marbles made at the "end of the day", assuming that had to do with using left over glass, cane, etc. I have wondered (imagined, speculated) that the CAC marble makers might have had a similar practice, making multi colored lunch box mibs. I understand the process would have been totally different with machine versus cane made mibs but the creative fun of using left over glass to make unique "end of day" mibs could have been similar.