How About Some Masters?

OK...tell me the best way to distinguish Akro Moss agates from Master Mossy looking patches. The Akros often have one straight edge on the patch, but not always...sometimes it is a bit pointed like the Masters. Any great id tips would be appreciated...

You couldn't ask an easy question, could you?! :P

I have a box of moss agate patches that I keep going back to and trying again to sort. I always give up. But I enjoy pondering them.

I think there are some missing links in the documentation. I would LOVE to see a careful study of moss patches. Known examples from different makers, showing range of variation in the consistency of the mossy bases.

I made a small study with photos drawn from different sources, but I couldn't get up close and personal with them.

Interesting ... a handsome family ... what is that size range?

Monster on left is 15/16", originally owned by Bo Stiff I believe. I did get a 1" after this photo was taken.

I really like Masters but I have to fault them for being too "brownish" in general, but once you escape the brown they can become amazingly brilliant, particularly the meteors (or is it comets, or both?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...