Opinion; Should This Be Buffed?

Hack

I've had this marble forever. It's a single melted pontil and is approximately 2 1/16". I pictured it "wet" because of the complete over all haze. I know it's a rare marble and would look much better without the haze. Opinions please,thank you.

post-3627-0-54270500-1439346814_thumb.jp

post-3627-0-85264700-1439346843_thumb.jp

Could you get clearer pics? If it is vintage Buffing is going to remove most of its value.

grinding will lower value on most .... trying a final polish doesn't remove glass ... just add's luster ... bill

Good question.

I would, because the marble would have more 'personal value' for me.

But that's no reason you should.

And the 'value' that Galen mentioned could be an important consideration.

No matter how much I might like the idea of polishing a marble, every man has his price.

And I have no doubt that if a large enough drop in 'resale value' was involved, I'd

probably find my self unable to 'pull the trigger'. ( :

I'm really enjoying the fact that everyone here is so classy and polite that they're giving their personal feelings, but not taking the original question literally and telling you what you 'should' do. :)

Bill, I know we disagree but unless one is just cleaning grime off a marble buffing removes glass. It may be a very microscopic amount but glass gets removed. Under a strong magnification much of the haze on a marble is tiny microscopic sctratches. These get removed with a buffing. That means some glass was removed.

a lot of buffing questions stem from your perspective as to what you are looking for, IE increased value, or aesthetics. Me personally, I have only had 3 large marbles either polished or buffed. A small sulphide so beat you couldnt see inside- turned out to be a number 3, a swirl that looked like the moon x 100, and another large swirl that was completely frosted over - this one I only hit it with a low grit just so I could see the colors/patterns.

1DanS I acquired this from my grandfather in the mid 70's. He found it in a basement of a house he had bought. I'm trying to get better pics as it is amazing in hand even with the haze which is almost like a tumbled finish. I'm assuming the pontil is melted because it's almost a smooth nipple, very similar to melted pontils I've seen, no facets.