Cardboard Marble Boxes

ausman

Be careful with tape. If you want to repair it, archival paper tabs and paper glue would probably be better. George's box repair articles would be a good read, for sure.

What he said.

Also, if you live near a fairly large museum, there will be a paper conservator there, or a technician who specializes in repairing paper (prints, drawings, books). If you can track one down they're usually open to doing small side jobs, or at least talking to you about one. Try the prints & drawings department first.

Does anyone know where to buy authentic-looking brown boxboard in the U.S., preferably online? All of the sources I have seen (hobby etc) seem to be overseas or huge bulk wholesale.

I want to make a box of my own to house some same-type marbles.

Thanks!

I use the flat sheets of cardboard you find in boxes of paper, etc. Also use the flat pieces on the back of yellow notepads. It is a bit thick, but you can find cheaper pads and it's usually thinner. I can't track down bulk quantities. It doesn't take much though. I use Elmers glue for my repairs, corners, torn paper, etc. Not the school glue, the real stuff. VERY SPARINGLY or it will darken the cardboard. Use a toothpick to get it on all the hard to reach spots.

Get 4 or 5 heavy items to 'push' the box edges in the shape/position you need, pressed against it in all directions until dry. You only get one shot at the repair, so make sure it's perfectly lined up.

If you want your box to be a certain color, you can glue your paper stock to it while it is still one piece. I use the stick glues for this. Again, not the kids school type.

post-38-0-10762100-1440632939_thumb.jpg

As a former print shop owner, I can tell you that the stuff on the back of note pads is called "Chip board" or just "chip". It comes in various sizes and thickness and can be ordered from most paper companies. Check with your local printer he will be able to get you what you need.