English Colors

Steph

Has anyone ever positively identified, by name, the glasshouse that made these?

Not to my knowledge. But I've gotten the impression that it may be the same glasshouses . . . just later in date, or/and made specifically for the English market (in solitaire sets). That's the most I've heard/seen/read about them. Any of our European collectors know anything? That would be interesting --

Not to my knowledge. But I've gotten the impression that it may be the same glasshouses . . . just later in date, or/and made specifically for the English market (in solitaire sets). That's the most I've heard/seen/read about them. Any of our European collectors know anything? That would be interesting --

Hi Ann

I assume that these marbles were made between the world wars. It is obvious that more of these brightful marbles were (are) found in Europe than in the USA. I found most of mine in Germany, some in England and some even in France. Perhaps one of the famous paperweight-factories (Limoges ?) in France made some of these then, who knows ?

Ron

The French paperweight factories were St. Louis, Baccarat, Clichy and Pantin (though there are some smaller ones). They didn't really produce weights in between the wars. Most of the paperweight production in that time period was Bohemia. The colors in the marbles above are not French house colors.

I agree that they were produced for the British market. Most of this type are found over there, which is why they were originally identified as Bristol.

• 3 months later...