Masters With Ox? What Is The Latest Word?

Steph

Ann, Akro did not make Oxblood cullet per se. They did mix mix and make batches of Oxblood glass that were used in making marbles. The cullet was a byproduct, Glass that did not get used and was discarded.(this was cullet) Akro Oxblood cullet turns a dirty brownish when reheated even at its lowest melting temp with a torch. A trip into the furnace makes it unidentifiable as Oxblood glass. That is why I was speculating that some of the numerous small furnaces at Akro could have fed Oxblood to the marbles just as these individual furnaces fed different colored glass to the corkscrew machines and spinning cups. That was all batch glass. I actually believe it would have been a must. I believe The colors we see in MFC Oxblood marbles are colors produced in the batch of Oxblood, not added colors, so that is a different subject.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know how Akro made oxblood glass or got it into their glass items. But this speculating has me asking questions as usual. So they made batches of oxblood glass that were used in making marbles. Is this the same oxblood that was also used in the Akroware pieces vases pots dishes etc. ? Akro oxblood cullet turns brownish when reheated at it lowest temp with a torch. I thought Scott and a few others added Akro oxblood to contemporary made marbles ? I have a popeye with oxblood which he said that he made ? A trip to the furnace makes it unidentifiabe as oxblood glass. I assume that it is a trip into the main furnace or base glass. Would not the small furnaces feeding the main furnace or tank be the same or near the same temp as the main furnace ? Maybe you are saying that a return trip later to a furnace after it was solid that makes it unidentifiable as oxblood ? think what you what are saying is that once the Akro oxblood glass was cooked or made in a seperate furnace and then feed to a main furnance stream and made into solid glass.That it cannot be reheated later and look like oxblood ? But people have been accused of doing this and stated that they have done it ?

Akro cullet turns a brownish when reheated even at its lowest melting temp with a torch. So you cannot reheat Akro Oxblood with a torch and have it look like Oxblood ?

A trip to the furnace makes it unidentifiable as Oxblood glass. So you cannot reheat Akro Oxblood in a furnace and have it look like Oxblood ?

So Akro Oxblood glass cannot be reheated and look like Oxblood ?

Good to know.

I was sure and would have bet money that four or five years ago when i posted this marble here. That Galen told me this Oxblood popeye was not made by Akro. That it was a remake or the Oxblood was added later. I was sure Scott took credit for making it and in that post or told me later that he used Akro oxblood in making the marble.

I do not know but it would be nice to know if Akro oxblood can be heated or remelted and look like oxblood ?

post-91-0-03775300-1448471151_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-72378100-1448471173_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is a bizarre marble for sure.

What size is it?

I am by far an expert, I just love Akro glass.

I'm sure the arguments have been made previously, but in my opinion, that looks like it was an incredible hybrid Popeye with Oxblood, ground down.

It is 5/8. I think if you touch oxblood with a three head grinder polisher. The oxblood will disappear or have holes show up quick. The oxblood is usually on the surface and thin. It will not survive much grinding or polishing.

The way BG explained it to me is similar but I'll dumb it down. The copper before it binds fully is going give a green like blue green, then as it binds it turns to oxblood not ruby red transparent and if you let it bind fully it turns to lutz/adventure but that's at the very end if you let it cook and cook. That's why you get some green slags then some have a little oxblood in them, then green bricks which is like half and half, then some bricks with just a hint of green and the just oxblood bricks. Why no AV/lutz bricks you ask? These came out of a pot and the glass was used up, the mixed again up again. Plus their quality control was crazy good.

This for dumbing it down for the people that CAN read! You might have fell asleep while bg was talking......if you read Ann's post that bg told, it states were "copper ruby", a fine trans red occurres unles your "ruby red" is something different.......if so, disregard this post!

Ron I should have stated that there has been a very few successful attempts at working with Oxblood cullet, I am not sure where our buddy got his oxblood from,or maybe it was goldstone that he started with?? but I know of no one else that had his success if he did use oxblood cullet. Maybe there are more

Ok Thanks Galen. Maybe Akro oxblood reacts totally marbles different than others. I think other companies oxblood does work with contemporary marbles. I have some Vitrolite oxblood tiles that has been used and worked in contemporary marbles. It was probably made from scratch or as batch glass in the 1920-1930's. It visually looks the same as Akro to me. I think Andy Davis has remelted Marble King oxblood into contemporary marbles and items. I had a dug piece about 5-6lbs.of MK which looked oxblood. If i had five pounds or even one pound of Akro oxblood i would find someone to reheat it. But who would want to sacrifice their Akro oxblood cullet ? Maybe someone who has worked with Akro oxblood will post. Boyce Lundstrum made Sam Hogue some batch oxbood . Sammy used it or reheated it to make solid oxblood marbles. It just seemed odd that other batch made oxblood glass has been reheated with success. But not or very little Akro oxblood as it turns brownish. If i find someone around Clarksburg with Akro oxblood ? I will put Sammy Andy or Eddie to work with it. I will add the Vitrolite solid oxblood to a big furnace for machine made marbles someday hopefully by spring.

Good to know Ron, I used to have a bunch of Akro Oxblood cullet from different batches. Not so much any more. I have had 3 different folks attempt to make Oxblood marbles from it with no real success. One of these days I may have some spheres ground out of what is left.

This for dumbing it down for the people that CAN read! You might have fell asleep while bg was talking......if you read Ann's post that bg told, it states were "copper ruby", a fine trans red occurres unles your "ruby red" is something different.......if so, disregard this post!

Crickets:) Crickets:)

John and Sonny Miller (John's Dad) have made marbles with that oxblood cullet.

Thanks sissydear, I wasn't sure but I thought that was the intended use. Didn't want to say for sure....you how picky everyone is about proper facts! mon