Marble Related Paperweights

lstmmrbls

I have owned both a birdcage marble and paperweight. There is NO way to grind the paperweight into a marble. It is way too small. The marble would be 1" or smaller.

There is a matching marble to the birds as well. I bought my birdcage from a very old collection of marbles and boxes. The birdcage marble was inside a small box just big enough to hold it. Under the marble was a hand written note that said " Christmas 1936, bought in Chinatown". I have no doubt they (all of the above) are Chinese made and later than German handmades.

Spara is correct, they are Chinese not German. I have several of the paperweights with the word China scratched on the bottom. The colors are also similar to flat China paperweights of the same time period. They are 1930s.

It has been suggested that the birdcage ones are copies of authentic German paperweights. The China trade was very prolific in copying antique paperweights, particularly Sandwich and New England Glass Company florals. However, the clear glass is very obviously Chinese in all of these that I have ever seen, and there are no published accounts of genuine German birdcages.

And I thought you would have known both were also made as marbles Hansel. Happy Holidays, Hope you find some joy this Holiday season.

Galen,

Why, in a marble forum, would you want to discuss my lack of joy this "Holiday season"?

Craig's find of an authentic birdcage marble is (good) news to me. I've seen several birdcage and firebush as well as milifiori marbles that had been cut and/or re-melted from Chinese paperweights and bottle stoppers.

Hansel

• 2 weeks later...

Tangential thought ....

When I was trying to understand how we moved from such names as "glass figured marbles" to calling those marbles "sulphides", I got some clues by asking paperweight collectors. :)

I think the evolution of the name happened in their realm, and then we picked it up.