What Exactly Is A Pistachio?

Steph

I've never learned. I've asked but never felt I had a clear picture. Wondered for years.

That1's "wanted" thread (here) made me wonder all over.

What green is the officially right green for a Pistachio?

What color(s) of ribbons are the officially right ribbons?

I don't know if I have any true Pistachios. I have some I call Pistachios but I suspect the green is probably too pale.

I do NOT have any with black. Unless they're hiding in some unsorted group. And I'm pretty sure they aren't.

I think that's why my brain has never clicked on Pistachios. I was wanting my non-blacks to count ... and my greens are probably the wrong shade anyway ... so on one level I knew they weren't Pistachios but my brain has been in a constant state of denial over them for years. :)

Winnie, thanks for bringing up the term 'collectors names'.

This is, to my personal way of thinking, a very important thing

to mention when people are trying to decide 'exactly' what something 'is'. ( :

Huh -- those are surprising. To me, anyhow. Most Alley pistachios are more distinctive. The black is very opaque black, and the green is a pale pistachio color -- but still greener than those. The pale green lights up under UV, but it's not super hot. All the Alley ones I've seen also have a denser pattern than those, too. More like the one Ron posted.

And the one in the middle of the ones 1DanS posted. Maybe the first one too. But the green looks different on the third one.

There is another Alley marble that kind of looks like it could be a pistachio but it isn't -- a pale green with dark ribbons that turn out to be transparent purple. Looks more like the CAC examples Al posted from Craig.

Oh gee. Another :worms:?

The Alley pistachio is a distinct marble. To be a true Alley pistachio it should glow under black light. There is no other Alley that I know of with this certain green base and the black swirls or flames that glows under black light. There is no other Alley that fits the correct colors and glows. This is a family of one not 10 or 20 variants that might be some other green and black dark purple or purple. Ron's pictures above are true Alley Pistachio. Now almost every green and black or dark purple swirl on ebay is a Alley pistachio. Alley also made a almost or exact match to the pieces in Craig's pictures from Christensen.

They are mint with, transparent red, transparent green, lavender, and black with gray.

Wow -- thanks! Somehow I missed the fact that one of them had a transparent red! So used to seeing the other colors (purple, etc.)