Muhammad Ali...Champion & Marble Collector

Back in 1987 we had a chance encounter with Muhammad Ali. We were on our way to a west coast marble show, changing planes at the Pittsburgh airport.

Lloyd says "Look, it's Muhammad Ali!"

Yes, it was the Champ. He was by himself except for one body guard.

Lloyd's family had always been interested in boxing. His Dad, Lloyd Huffer Sr., had fought in the Golden Gloves arena.

Lloyd approached him and said he was a marble collector. He gave Ali a nice German swirl marble, and a business card.

Ali signed the card and returned it, although we had not asked him for an autograph. He looked at the marble and said in his unmistakable

drawl "That's beautiful. I will put it in my museum."

That was a Chance Encounter of the Best Kind.

Wow!!!!!!!

Is this Chris?  

Here are the pix you sent.  Not sure why they wouldn't post.  They're a good size.  Anyway, that is most awesome.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Send our regards to Lloyd.  

DSCN5740.JPG

DSCN5739 (430x293).jpg

DSCN5738.jpg

Let's not forget all those who lost their lives, and all those who lost limbs and minds fighting in the heat of Vietnam while this guy played games and changed his name and religion to Islam.... It was 1967, he was convicted and didn't serve his country.

1 hour ago, greg11 said:

Let's not forget all those who lost their lives, and all those who lost limbs and minds fighting in the heat of Vietnam while this guy played games and changed his name and religion to Islam.... It was 1967, he was convicted and didn't serve his country.

I don't come here for arguments about religion or politics, so all I'll say is that he made it quite clear why he was a conscientious objector and was prepared to face the consequences.

I did not think about Mr. Ali being culturally controversial.  

All I saw was a visit from an old friend and a memorable story.   Somewhere in Mr. Ali's personal collection someone may see Lloyd's marble and not know the story but we do. :)

*waves again at Chris and Lloyd*

I applaud the man for doing what he truly believed was the right thing to do for him at the time knowing he would have to suffer the repercussions of a bunch of narrow minded  haters and bigots.   And he did so much good over the years it is a shame you did not bring any of that up.  He was a great human being and totally earned my respect!!! 

i got plenty to say .. but not in this forum concerning the man's personal choices. what i will say is that muhammad ali was a man of his convictions and held true to them all his life. his reaching out to .. all .. around the world ... espousing .. goodness ... not radical in his thoughts and actions whatsoever. i do know i would .. NEVER .. be fodder for the cannon of the leaders who .. still ... want war. ... again. proudly i served .. but .... let .. the leader's who start the action .. send .. their kids .. FIRST. maybe then there will be more peace in this crazy world we exist in..... r.i.p ... muhammad ali ..... bill

With lstmmrbls and mibcapper here.   Solidly.  Otherwise, with ManofKent:   "I don't come here for arguments about religion or politics."

Although I will say, standing up for one's beliefs at great personal cost is a profoundly American thing to do.

There is no person who, under scrutiny, would not be vilified by some segment of society. Had Ali gone to Vietnam, he's be in trouble with some group or another. Even Mother Teresa had haters.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." - F Scott Fitzgerald